A Profound Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jipajappa, Jan 1, 2009.

1. jipajappa

jipajappa TPF Noob!

Hey guys. Being new to the world of photography and all, what do you think are some good kinds of shots to do in order to practice my technique, etc? I like landscape and nature stuff the best, but living in a big city (Atlanta), my options in these categories are limited. Any suggestions for a noob eager to get out and shoot?

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The only way to get good at a type of photography is to do that type of photography. It's a pain when what you are interested in is not easy or possible to get to so you might try some workarounds;

1) you could try visiting local zoos and such (some cities have them) where you can at least find subjects which would interest you and many of the needed skills (photographically speaking) are the same - all that is missing is the hours of finding and tracking wildlife - plus in zoos you don't need to have super long (and expensive) lenses to get good shots.

2) Possibly consider macro work - if your into nature then you might find insects of interest (don't knock it till you try it ;)) and a city park or even small garden can be home to a wide variety of macro inhabitants

3. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also try one of the various "photo assignments" posted to see what you have a feel for.

4. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although you may not be able to shoot landscapes and nature shots, you live a terrific big city which gives you the opportunity to try Urban photography, cityscapes, architectural photography, interesting night shots...the possibilities are there for exciting photographic experiences. I enjoy viewing urban photographs, especially from cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, New Orleans, Sydney...so much character and atmosphere is captured that the pictures are almost always very interesting to view. Don't limit yourself, expand your horizons and get out and shoot.

5. ShutterSpeed

ShutterSpeed TPF Noob!

Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I live in a small city. If I lived in Atlanta, I would think I'd have endless options. I love the town, btw and the surrounding area.

How about some landscapes with skyscrapers in them?

Is there an outdoorsy place you could get to where you could see the skyline from a 'mountain' or high place..

just some thoughts.

i say, take pictures of anything you think could make an interesting picture.