a question about b&w

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JahLynJie, May 15, 2007.

1. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This may be a rather stupid question but bear with me, I'm still fairly new to all of this.

I have a Fuji S5200. It has a setting option to shoot in b&w.
    Here comes the stupid question part:
    Is there a difference between using the b&w setting and shooting in color then changing it to b&w when editing the photo? I mean, as far as how the finished photo will look (if all other settings were the same).

:blushing:

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll much more control over the final image if you shoot in color and convert to black and white in post process.

3. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Alright, thank you.

Unfortunatly, I don't have Photoshop. I have a sub-par photo editing program called Photo Explosion. It will let me convert an image to b&w but I'm not sure how good it is compared to Photoshop.

I know Photoshop can be expensive. Is there a cheaper-but-just-as-good version of it?

4. stockaz

stockaz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, I have this 'friend' who downloaded a copy of Photoshop and all the required codes from a P2P site called Limewire. It's illegal and a bit naughty but it might be an option until your budget can stretchhhhhhh (call it a free preview - probably won't stand up in court but it will ease your consience).

Hope that helps :)

5. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What you are suggesting is called theft. It might not be such a good idea to promote this type of activities on this forum.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try the gimp.

gimp.org

7. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hummm... I think I'd rather stay legal, thanks.

8. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

9. JahLynJie

JahLynJie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I tried Gimp but I couldn't get it to download correctly.
    But that's alright. I was looking through my pile of computer software and found an editing program called PhotoFinish. It's a mystery how I got it (I'm assuming it belonged to my dad at one point). I didn't even know I had it.

I'm trying really hard not to make this a double post- I posted about it in the Graphics Programs forum.
    Thanks for all your help.

10. CBRfanatic

CBRfanatic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you think about it, downloading from p2p isnt illegal, hence the reason why they are never shut down, somewhere, someone paid for the copy of Photoshop you are downloading, therefore it is more like borrowing. It will become illegal if you burn a copy to a cd and try to sell it. P2P is inn a grey area of the law right now. My brother works for a communications firm in manhattan and goes to clients offices all day log and he says alot of top businesses are starting to torrent applications just because it saves them a ton of money. Imagine the cost of a volume license to CS3!!! Anywho, gimp is good, but photoshop is greater, in the end who cares which you use, just take some pictures!!!! lol.

11. rangefinder

rangefinder TPF Noob!

Maybe you should consider PhotoShop Elements. I'm using Elements 5. Depending where you buy it it'll cost $99 or less.

Much better to stay legal. I got mine at a big box for $69. Additionally there is a FREE plugin - The Virtual Photographer - which has a lot of features like B/W conversion, monotones, sepia, film look, etc. and works with all versions of PhotoShop and Elements.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

12. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LimeWire isn't all Bad

If you have the oppurtunity just use LimeWire. Like the guy above said, I don't think it's strictly 'illegal' because EVERYONE knows about it and nothing is done about it, as far as the law is concerned. Thousands, maybe millions of people use that site to download whatever. (I even happen to myself just for the occassional song on my ipod)

If you want to avoid the LimeWire route

I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 and it does EVERYTHING you could ask for and you can get it for a very cheap price. The one I got was only $79.99. I've never been limited in anything I've wanted to do so far with this product. You will definitely be satisfied.

Hope this helps. :heart: