a question about changing lenzes

amahmood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have never had a camera with a convertable lenz. Now I need to buy a camera capable of screwing new lenzes. I first ask my 2 first questions which are more general and then ask more specific question for my specific requirement.

1. consider a camera like "Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W1". Do we need to screw off the current lenz then screw in our new lenz or not? information about this camera here http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w1-review/index.shtml

2. if the answer to above is yes, will it work without any extra lenz? I mean can we open the current lenz and still take photos?

and now the reason I ask this question. I have just bought an "egg photo 360" lenz used for creating virtual tours. now that I notice if I screw this lenz to that camera when we turn on the camera it's lenz will come out and either has to break the glass at the begining of the "egg lenz" or has to stop and perhaps malfunctions.
actullay one solution for me is to buy a camera that I am sure it dosen't have a "comming out" lenz but most of them that I know are much more expensive.
and incase somebody is interested about these egg lenzes here is the address: http://www.eggsolution.com/

Thanks in advance

hi amahmood,

im not exactly experienced with cameras a great deal, but i do know a fair bit about IT related products etc,

firstly have you checked if the camera you wish to buy is compatible with the lens? , that can be checked here:

http://www.eggsolution.com/prod_pho_equipment.htm

its not listed, but the list there is not exhaustive as it says at the bottom, im not too sure about the camera, but many digital cameras do not have removable lenses, and you would maybe have to get a converter of some sort? ( maybe someone better with cameras can clarify this a little more ) i wouldnt try forcing the lens on just yet, you may break it and you would end up paying more, or spending time sending it back to them.

good luck, and i hope someone more experienced than me replies soon enough :p

According to that review, the Sony has support for "conversion lenses", which most likely you need a bayonet adapter to use. The adapter fits around the lens, and fits then lens once it is extended. It is threaded and allows you to then screw on filters, or wide angle/ tele converters. You need to find out info on the bayonet adapter, and what's it's filter thread size is, and then buy your accessories accordingly. If you bought the egg photo 360 thing already, you may need to get step down, or step up rings to make it fit the Sony adapter. I can't tell you where to look for the bayonet adapter other than Sony's website, which is a mess. Good luck.

Thanks for your replies.

the adaptor shouldn't be a problem because the package comes with lots of adaptors.

I am mostly concern about that "comming out" lenz of some of these "convertable lenzes" cameras like the one that I named above because the egg solution has a glass right at the begining of it.

and about that list on eggsolution.com. it is very limited and as long as i remember it hasn't been updated.

Any kind of filter or lens you would buy for that Sony would encounter the problem of the lens extending. That's why they make the bayonet adapter, which extends to allow for that. I haven't had any experience with these myself. You'll have to look into it.

Digital Matt said:
Any kind of filter or lens you would buy for that Sony would encounter the problem of the lens extending. That's why they make the bayonet adapter, which extends to allow for that. I haven't had any experience with these myself. You'll have to look into it.

hummmm ...
Now I understand it.

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back