A Question about Exposure Compensation

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by revilo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. revilo

revilo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How does exposure compensation work? Does it change the aperture, shutter speed and/or ISO in order to correct the exposure, or does it work in some other way?

2. Kendo

Kendo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is a good question. I never thought about that. I just know it works. Sorry I can't help.

3. OregonAmy

OregonAmy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like it's shutter speed and/or aperture, and could depend on the camera or the mode you're using (aperture priority will adjust aperture).

Understanding... Exposure Compensation - Digital Photography Tutorial - Photoxels
    Exposure Compensation: Exposure: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Exposure compensation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    it depends which mode you are shooting in. When ever the camera uses and auto or semi auto mode to take as shot it adjust the settings (that it controls) to get as close as possible to a "correct" exposure. This normally is located in the middle of the exposure slider on your camera, however there are times when you might want to under or over expose a shot (for what ever reason). Exposure compensation tells the camera to do just that - to under or overexpose the shot by how ever much you dail in in the compensation.

If you are in shutter priority then the camera will adjust the aperture
    If you are in aperture priority then the camera will adjust the shutter speed.
    If you are in full auto both aperture and shutter priority will be adjusted

I am unsure if auto ISO is affected by this or not - I would assume that it is, but I have no experience using auto ISO.