A question about Wedding Etiquette

bentcountershaft

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no real interest in Wedding Photographer, however, with the season approaching I'm sure I'll be dragged to a couple this summer. To help make them interesting I'm sure I'll be bringing my camera just for the practice and I like to snap candids. My question is how should I go about not stepping on a hired photographer's toes? I'm guessing as soon as he/she sees me walking around with a 24-70L lens on he's going to think I'm trying to undercut or undermine his work, which wouldn't be the case at all. Maybe I should introduce myself from the get go to help put their mind at ease? I don't know, I was just thinking about it and thought I'd ask what you folks, as the professionals would appreciate in that situation.

Edit: Ediquette? Really? These pain meds must be better than I thought. Etiquette. Sorry.

Last edited:
I would totally introduce myself to the photog, and let him/her know you will stay out of the way.

What I would suggest is not screaming suggestions on posing. Do not take a photo when the big lights are up, because that screws up our lighting.

Don't jump into the middle of the aisles when they are walking in or out.

I deal with this ALL THE TIME because I shoot for a lot of fellow photogs, who of course have photog friends. If the photog is worth his salt, he won't care. If he/she does, respect them and the job they are doing and lay off.

Thanks, I would likely just stay away during the posed situations and the actual ceremony and wouldn't be using a flash so I shouldn't be causing too many problems there. I think I'd be more interested in taking shots of people mingling, hopefully getting them before they notice me. Kind of a street photography idealism in a formal social situation. I just don't want the pro to think, "Oh, great, another wanna be pro with a Rebel that's going to ruin my chance of print sales."

I agree. Try to introduce yourself and let them know that you are just a guest etc. Unless they are interested, try to avoid trying to 'talk shop' with them and bragging about your gear. (we get that all the time, and it's often quite annoying ;)).

One issue is how the photographer makes their money. It used to be the norm that the photographer would make a lot of their money selling prints/reprint...so any shots that you take (and might give to the B&G) could be potential lost income for them. So be prepared that they may be a little hostile to a guest holding a camera, especially a good one with good lens.
Although, most wedding photographers should be used to that by now, and should be beyond getting worked up about it. Many don't just sell prints anymore, so they aren't counting on selling those shots.
Either way, if they ask you not to shoot the ceremony, then at least take it easy.

I'd probably avoid the formal shoot, unless they don't mind your being there, in which case, it could be a good learning experience. But if you are going to give the B&G your photos, then you might want to be somewhere else at that time, capturing stuff that they would otherwise miss (guests etc.)

And obviously, be mindful that you don't get in their way. I've had a couple weddings where I've had to jostle for position among a group of guests with cameras, just to get in position for a shot.

Thanks, I might actually watch the formal, posed shots, with my camera in the bag, just to watch what they do with lighting. I know nothing about lighting so that may be interesting to see. I won't bother them with questions though. In my experience that time period can be pretty hectic so I'll be sure to stay out of the way.

Mike is right. Don't chit chat because we are on a tight schedule.
Don't impede the formals.

Don't block our shots. We are held liable for the shots we get and don't get. Just be mindful of that.

Try not to stand on the other end of our focus. This is he biggest problem I encounter. Stand next to me or at most a 90 degree stance. Pay attention when I start moving. Move with me.

This is what I demand of my assistant, and this is what I would implore you to do. You can still get good shots without messing up the primary shooter.

I wouldn't say anything, and I wouldn't impede.
I would shoot natural light only, I would also stay out of the general area they are shooting in.
I mean if you think about it, as long as you don't effect his shots, you should be just fine. I'm sure he is much to busy to care if you've brought your camera along to snap photos.

Don't chit chat because we are on a tight schedule.
Don't impede the formals.

Don't block our shots. We are held liable for the shots we get and don't get. Just be mindful of that.

Try not to stand on the other end of our focus. This is he biggest problem I encounter. Stand next to me or at most a 90 degree stance. Pay attention when I start moving. Move with me.

This is what I demand of my assistant, and this is what I would implore you to do. You can still get good shots without messing up the primary shooter.

Agreed. But only because, as a photographer, you have an understanding of what is going on. Most people taking snaps at weddings don't and they never bothered me. Maybe because I don't get uptight about things and I'd get in trouble today.

But, I worked at it at a time when things were relax and the idea of getting sued was not something we worried about. At least not if you had a basic idea of what you were doing :D

Anyway, just like a lot of things in life, use common sense. Don't stand between the lens and the subject :lmao: type of thing. Don't tell your life story to the photog while he/she is shooting, etc.

Your thread is actually making me wonder if this is one of those situations where the photog is making things worse by taking him/herself too seriously thus making the clients take the whole thing too seriously also.

The only suggestion I can offer is to try to focus on different things or from different angles. A while back I went to a wedding where they hired a pro photog, but a guest was also a pro, and throughout the whole night, they seemed to constantly be in the same place at the same time, elbow to elbow. They also seemed to be shooting at exactly the same moment on a lot of shots -- the photog they hired had to ask the other guy to stop shooting at one point because their flashes were going off at exactly the same time.

That's a good example of what-not-to-do.

Most reactions

Back