A Question for the computer geeks out there...

Ok, so against all my previous statements, I ended up getting the Vaio NW series. I randomly went to Fry's electronics to see what they had, and they had the exact model I wanted (minus the gorgeous brown color) for a paltry $699, which is a whole $100 cheaper than anywhere else I had seen.

The NW series is kind of like the PC version of the Macbook Pro. The keyboard is similar and the specs are pretty close. I think the MBP has a slightly better graphics card in some models though. But, so far, the screen seems pretty dang good and the graphics card is plush. I was running CS:source at maximum settings without the slightest stutter with the fastest framerate I've seen. It actually runs Vista smoothly, but I want to upgrade to Windows 7 asap.

Specification
Display13.1" (1366 x 768) WXGA, 13.1" (1600 x 900)Operating SystemVista Business, XP Professional downgrade, Vista UltimateProcessorCore 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 2.53 GHzMemory1 GB - 4 GB Hard Drive64 GB - 320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm - 7200 rpm)Graphics CardGF 9300M GS, GMA 4500MHDOptical DriveDVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM, BD-REConnectivity
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
  • Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
  • Wireless LAN
Ports and Expandibility
  • Audio in
  • Audio out
  • Two Hi-Speed USB ports
  • VGA port
  • HDMI
  • Express card 34
  • Card reader
  • Modem jack
  • Firewire
Battery
  • 6 hours
  • Lithium ion
Dimensions12.4" x 8.3" x 1.3" (31.5cm - 21.1cm - 3.3cm)Weight3.3 lbs - 3.5 lbs (1.5kg - 1.59kg)Built in Extras
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Webcam

All laptop screens can be calibrated but it won't matter too much. They all suffer from varying degrees of problems attributed to viewing angles and the room lighting. Basically they are laptops. Calibrate your screen and there's two ways things can go wrong.

a) You're on a bus your viewing angle is slightly different than at home. You make your edit, get home open the laptop again and think "hangon what happened to the fine shadow detail, it's all black"

b) You're editing a picture in the local library under bright fluro tubes, you work away and go home to your dimly lit room when you suddenly realise your picture is purple because where first your eyes were adjusting to the fluro they are now adjusting to the screen which has a different white balance.

I'm not saying don't get a laptop, I'm saying laptops are Laptops. The Dell Studio 15 has one of the better screens from what I have heard over and over again. However if you want any kind of certainty or repeatability in your results you need to reduce variables by getting a screen that doesn't change tone / colour with viewing angles, and get a screen which is under somewhat constant lighting conditions.

A future note for anyone that reads this since I was too late to chime in for this guy. I have been a computer geek for 18yrs and I have been a professional IT tech for 6yrs, I have gotten to purchase various laptops for clients and use them myself. I used to recommend Dell hardcorp for every client but I don't any longer.

HP laptops are nice but when it comes to upgrades and tech support HP really lacks.

Dell laptops are nice and cheap but they have had a problem with their motherboards for forever.

Apple is a great buy with the new unibody mbp, pc laptops don't come close in comparison. You get a lot of computer for your $1100 if you choose the aluminum model. Not only do you get an LED screen, standard 2gb ram, slot dvd, illuminated keyboard but the thing will run 4 hrs on a charge.

If you are not pleased with OSX then wipe it and install windows or dual boot. I go to a tech school and mid way through class when all the other guys are digging in their bags for power cords I am typing away :)

Most reactions

Back