A question for the teens out there

saving + driving less + finding deals (both of my lenses I bought used for less than $100) + taking advantage of gift-worthy occasions (i.e. graduation, birthday, Christmas etc.) = photography.

Not a teen, but I must say I am please to see hard working teens working for a goal. I see so much of mommy daddy give me this, makes me sick.

I've been working and budgeting since I was old enough to work. I still have to save to buy expensive things also. I'm working on saving up for a DSLR myself and I'm almost 40. I decided to start with a P&S first to learn before going all out.
Yes! Me too! I can't stand teens who think mommy and daddy owe them the world on a string. These teens in this post are darn inspiring.:hail:

As long as us kids have a passion we will act like this. =)

I'm 16, and I bought a DSLR about a year ago. I saved up for a long time to get it. I have a part time job and I watch what I'm buying. Keep your priorities straight on what is most important to spend your money on. I recently bought a Lensbaby for about 250 dollars. I'm going to buy a car this summer, so I know for awhile I will not have any money for buying photography equipment. As of now I'm just practicing and practicing, for the future when I can afford all the lenses and lighting equipment that I need.

It is seriously tough. For a few years I was pretty much hospitalized constantly. Because of this I've only been able to work since fall...and then I got sick again I was hospitalized for another 2 months, and have bee recovering for two months. I've got a few things from family because of this but now if I want anything I'm on my own. I'm explaining this situation because for me, making cash is hard as hell, so I've recently been doing a lot of thinking on how to save up for photography and for my portion of university fees.

Budgeting is key, break out that excel spreadsheet and start planning and checking on how much money you already spend, and how much you can save. Cars are deadly, I say don't get one, I'm two months out of a serious bowel surgery and I bike everywhere to save cash, I think you can too. Get a job, or two if you can and open up a bank account with good returns which you specifically NEVER TOUCH (until you want that new camera, but that is what this account is for, saving for big things). Never eat out, or almost never, bring packed lunches, learn how to cook (the ladies love it), and be a leech if you have to (you can make it up to your friends by cooking a fabulous meal for them with those cooking skills you're picking up). Lastly, find a few other ways to make cash outside your job like babysitting, dog walking, blogging (I'd really like to hear about this payperpost thing?), and of course if you can, photography.

I was pretty cavalier about my cash when I first got a job because I hadn't had any money to spend for 3 years, but I regret it now. The most important thing is planning and making a few sacrifices (get good equipment, but get it used, and maybe get it only once a year). Now if I can only properly implement this plan myself...

Like kids who dont have hobbies, dont have goals so they wont act this way (doing ever last thing to save money). I cant really word it easily but basicly kids who are in this situation will act differently than kids who do something doesnt have goals and such to reach (again, hard to word)

Yes! Me too! I can't stand teens who think mommy and daddy owe them the world on a string. These teens in this post are darn inspiring.:hail:

Yes, I too find them inspiring. Though to be honest, I still wish more would take my advice and go for the less expencive equipment and maximize their lens buying capibility. Willingness to work hard for the money you get is great, learning how to get the most out of the money is a whole new playing field.

I can't stand teens who think mommy and daddy owe them the world on a string.

Me neither. Jeeze it miffs me! My two main 'hobbies' - horses and photography - are filled with kids whose parents buy them all the expensive toys. I earn the money to pay for these things myself, and even then my parents don't make it easy to buy them. I guess that's good, because I am never les than 110%sure about things that I buy. I research things to death. No joke.

This one aquaintance just kills me! She's been riding for a year, and she's already on the market for a horse of her own! And she just got an XTi, simply because her P&S died, not because she's big on photography. All that would be fine, if only she appreciated it! And yes, I am damn jealous.

I'm still at school and living at home. I work every sunday and many saturdays, since my parents pay for my food, transport etc. it makes it really easy to save. I can save up to $200 a weekend
So for anyone still at home, take advantage of it while you can.

Im in college, and keep my working hrs up around 20 hrs per week. Oh, and I had to get rid of my dirtbike that I purchased in HS. It was sad seeing it go, but amazing seeing the BH box arrive.

I'm 16 and still in school. I got my first job today. I have a digital camera (Fujifilm), and saved up for it for about a year. I was still short on money, so my dad paid for half of it. I'm still paying him back (it's been 4 months).

All I can say is save, and research. I got my fancy camera and you know what? It's too fancy for me. Quite a disappointment really.

Best of luck to you, though.

Think about working for a charity. For real. I'm working for a non-profit charitable organization. I just recieved a brand new copy of CS3 and Lightroom today. I paid for the software out of my own pocket, but it was all only 1/2 price because I got the charity discount. Of course I'll have to do some work for them during this summer time, but I'll be helping a charity, I'll be improving my photo editing, and I get to keep the software.

Enjoy all that disposable income now while you can. It's different when you hit your 30's, have kids, bills, house payment, medical bills, etc. I have far more money in my pocket for anything I wanted when I was 16 making <gasp> $3.35 an hour part time than I do now making FAR MORE than that.

Amen.!!! Each year goes by feels like a paycut.

Honestly... Battou has the right idea. New photographers have it in their minds that they must have a digital, autofocus, auto metering... wiz bang of an SLR to learn. It just not true....

It is the same with cars... god forbid my nephews be seen in a 10 year old car.. eh gad. I was happy with a bike to work and a $100 junker paid with cash (and my father helping me fix it... thanks dad!).

A lot of people and I mean A LOT of people learned with much less (spending less). Used spotmatics... non-name-brand lenses.. all used.

Me... I am a leach. I "stole" um borrowed my father's cameras until I purchased my own in college.

I grew up with a bunch of those "type" of teens. I have to say.... seeing what they had and what I could not have made me feel like crap. They made fun of my $100 car.... suked. It was a bit tough... and I see my brother falling into it even harder. It is the same reason why I refuse to raise my son in the same area no matter what the grandparents say.

Most reactions

Back