A question for the teens out there

Amen.!!! Each year goes by feels like a paycut.
Tis the complete truth for where I'm at these last few years. Each year has truely been a paycut. Salary has gone up (though minimally), but with less overtime I'm loosing about $2000 every year since about 2004.

About the kids who's parents spoil them and get them anything and everything they want.... We really didn't have much of this when I was in school. I think we had 1 or 2 kids from a rich family and though I know at least the one had a brand new Corvette to drive (I think the C4 at the time), that was about the extent of it. He didn't act like a spoiled little rich kid, nor did he drive his Corvette like one.

I am 19 and live on my own with 3 friends (a student flat). I go to a college and I've got money from my parents to survive, literally. Everything extra is bought for my own money. I work for 2-3 months every summer so I don't have to worry about small expenses for the rest of the year. And it works... well, if you're not into photography that is. Anyway, I somehow managed to buy an xti with a cheap telephoto lens. With a little luck I'll be able to get some proper glass next year.

Oh, and no, I don't have my own car. I don't need one.

Tis the complete truth for where I'm at these last few years. Each year has truely been a paycut. Salary has gone up (though minimally), but with less overtime I'm loosing about $2000 every year since about 2004.

Same in Jersey where the cost of living is climbing at astonishing rate and pay remains flat. The ol saying "keeping up with the Joneses" to describe the spoiled behavior of amassing immaterial wealth was originally observed in the adults of the family. My observation is that same behavior has now infected the youth of those families. My brother and I are more than a decade apart in age... my father was the first to discuss that observation with me over a late night drink. He saw the behavior in both of us... but to a much larger degree in my brother's age group. My goal is try to differently for my son... it will be difficult...

I use $20 flashes and cardboard for my "studio" setup.

Most reactions

Back