A Question From A "Wanna-Be"

I've done a lot of skiing (I like to think I'm pretty damn good), but not much ski photography. How fast a lens do you really need? I would think that all the snow would act as a giant reflector (keep in mind that it's been a while since I've seen snow...).

To me (I admit that I could be wrong, listen to what everyone has to say, then make your own decision) a 50 and the kit lens (or a faster lens with the same range) would be all you need for skiing. When I think skiing, I think mobility. I wouldn't want to drag around my camera bag with 6 lenses in it. I would pick two (three, tops) and find a pocket to put them in.

absolutely... and truth be told, in my opinion I probably wouldn't even want to use really nice lenses for ski photography (primarily because I would be afraid to drop them in the snow (that's just me though).

Beyond that as well... I agree with the above poster, with the snow as a sort of reflector you will probably not have much of a use for the lower apertures.

hmm maybe a Rebel XTI or XS + Sigma 10-20 for landscape. well it will be a bit over your budget but you can get the camera with a kit lens now and get a ultra wide lens later :D

Most reactions

Back