a question of RAM

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My laptop currently has half a gb of RAM, not very much...with a 1.5Ghz processor. Im upgrading to 2GB ..will this make a fair bit of difference when running say a photo package, plus a few other applications and internet? I got a good deal on the upgrade, bout $35!!

My laptop currently has half a gb of RAM, not very much...with a 1.5Ghz processor. Im upgrading to 2GB ..will this make a fair bit of difference when running say a photo package, plus a few other applications and internet? I got a good deal on the upgrade, bout $35!!

What OS are you using? Generally anytime you upgrade memory, you will notice a difference. Make sure that the RAM you are buying is clocked at the same speed as the RAM that is currently in the computer.

For example, my RAM is 667MHz or 333MHz per stick, If I bought RAM that is under 333MHz per stick, it would declock the processor resulting in a slower computer. If I bought over 333MHz per stick, it would declock the memory to run at 333MHz per stick, making the extra speed useless and wasted money.

I upgraded my system from 2GB DDR2 to 4GB DDR2, and the computer is twice as fast now as it was before. I'm also running 64bit Vista as well.

im running XP. I got it from a site called cruicial.com ...i scans the laptop andknows what is in there and what can be added so it said i coldgo from 2x 256 to 2 x 1gb....quite a diference im hoping! if i can manage to change the bits without dstroying te laptop in the process!!!

|MG| CPU-Z 1.49

download that and run it. when it opens, click on the "SPD" tab and tell me what it says in slot one and slot two under the maximum bandwidth section.

For example, mine says "PC2-5300 (333 MHz)"

cant seem to d load that, never mind. i will wait to see when the ram arrives and see the difference

The two gigs will be pretty noticeable, I run xp, PSCS with only 1 gig and had no problems/slowdowns, what might mess you up with editing is your graphics card and the lousy screens on laptops. I'm about to build a new comp soon but this has worked great for 4 years now so its paid for itself a thousand times over, my only grief will be having to get a flat panel and paying through the nose for one that can be calibrated properly. H

Hi,

Yes, I agree. A half gig is a bit on the low side (and XP will probably use at least half of that even before you do anything like load image software, let alone the image) so an increase of this kind would probably make quite a difference. Usually when a computer begins to run out of RAM it uses the hard disk more, which is a lot slower.

I've also had success with crucial before, so unless I've just been lucky that sounds good too. if you want to double check the automatic scan you may be able to manually search its site by make and model of your laptop too.

Kevin

Most reactions

Back