a quick eqiupment question for my first wedding

Yes, well as I said... I have found stores that actually encourage this kind of thing because it can be good for business.

I'm having a hard time figuring out a situation where that would be good for business...

Now they're stuck with an open box that they have to sell that a reduced figure (that the 15% restocking fee probably won't cover), and they'll have to wait for someone willing to buy an open box item... I don't know about you, but I would never buy the open box or display model.

If you decide to do that anyway, they might just give you store credit if you return it. Not sure about Best Buy, but I know a lot of places do that now...

Even after a reduced figure, stores still make out with a good chunk of change in their pockets. Lets remember, the MSRP is way more expensive than the Cost price they pay manufactures for their product!

But still, buying something when you already know its going back for a refund, just doesnt seem right. :scratch:

With all the competition, and the current economy, not sure there is as much markup on cameras and lenses as we might think there is....

I'm having a hard time figuring out a situation where that would be good for business...

Now they're stuck with an open box that they have to sell that a reduced figure (that the 15% restocking fee probably won't cover), and they'll have to wait for someone willing to buy an open box item... I don't know about you, but I would never buy the open box or display model.

I don't really know what the markup is or how they manage to make money with that kind of model. But I do know places who had that policy (maybe not anymore), and it was a major selling point for me. Maybe they figure it helps get extra sales, and the few returns don't offset the gains. Maybe they bank on it bringing in a different clientèle. Because of their customer service they get customers who are willing to spend more money on a product they can easily get cheaper online. It helps to justify their larger markup. Maybe the clientèle they attract didn't return much anyway. I really don't know. Though I did know I was spending a lot more money in those stores, but it was worth it to have a shop that I trusted and to have a chance to try out a $1,400 lens.

In fact, I wish I still had them around... unfortunately I just moved across country.

Well, I wouldn't do it. But if I did - I would find out if it's a cash refund or a store credit first.

Actually, that's something I like to know anyway, even with no intention of returning the product.

I hate store credit... Just give me my money back and let me spend it however I like...

SUM UP
Wedding Photography, a business that already is suffering is now at risk of getting being "lied to" yet again by a wana be. Feel bad for clients. On the special day they really should deserve Professional, not a phony. In time, you will pay the price for hurting the industry and your ethics. We all have to answer for our choices at one point or another.

Well, I wouldn't do it. But if I did - I would find out if it's a cash refund or a store credit first.

Actually, that's something I like to know anyway, even with no intention of returning the product.

I hate store credit... Just give me my money back and let me spend it however I like...

I don't think the store credit is an issue, but at this point i'm trying to think of other options. I can't spend $200 on a rental, and can't buy one yet (already spending $150 some extra equipment I will need). I just started this thread because it crossed my mind and I wanted some feedback. I don't really know what I'll do yet. Maybe break out my old Rebel xt. It's kind of shabby and has a few dead pixels... but I've taken some amazing photos with that camera and sold some for a lot of money. And I can always clone out the dead pixels. It could work ok as a backup.

www.jimpowellphoto.com

The moral to the situation is just as bad as what I charge clients. :)

SUM UP
Wedding Photography, a business that already is suffering is now at risk of getting being "lied to" yet again by a wana be. Feel bad for clients. On the special day they really should deserve Professional, not a phony. In time, you will pay the price for hurting the industry and your ethics. We all have to answer for our choices at one point or another.

a wanna be? Lied to? I've been honest and open with my client. They have been the same way with me. They can't afford thousands on an established photographer. That's why they hired me. They know i'm new at this. They know they're not going to get the quality that a seasoned pro will offer. I'm not doing anything to hurt the industry. Get off your high horse. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

SUM UP

a wanna be? Lied to? I've been honest and open with my client. They have been the same way with me. They can't afford thousands on an established photographer. That's why they hired me. They know i'm new at this. They know they're not going to get the quality that a seasoned pro will offer. I'm not doing anything to hurt the industry. Get off your high horse. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

He's a republican don't worry about him.

I'm not on a horse, did a wedding once where BG rode on a horse during the ceremony :) was a gorgeous wedding :D.

They know I'm new at this.
From your site
Jim currently resides in New York City but might be found anywhere in the world either shooting weddings, commercial projects, or simply traveling and developing new work for galleries and exhibitions.
I wonder how this is Jim's first wedding and yet he manages to travel and shoot weddings? Let's ask Jim :)

You are asking people, who dedicated their lives to the industry both in technical and business aspects to give an advise or a moral go-ahead to lie to a store (BB is probable overcharging by 10-20% -- a real wedding photographer would do the research to find gear as cheapest possible), then you are justifying it by providing example about your L lense...
Again, ethics. You demonstrated that your suck and until you realize why people here are pissed at you :), you might be successful on your first 22weddings, but your 23rd one will bring you down lower then you are starting out.

My main camera is a Canon 40D. It's certainly not bad for low light photography, but it does get grainy at 1600 iso

And for lenses... I've got several. my main is a 24-105 L , and i also have a 100mm macro, and a 75-300mm zoom lens

www.jimpowellphoto.com

With the lenses you have you don't have a cat in hells chance of shooting a night time wedding, you don't even have a flash in your equipment list, you will also probably have to shoot at ISO3200 and even at this you will struggle with F4:lmao:

I don't think the store credit is an issue, but at this point i'm trying to think of other options. I can't spend $200 on a rental, and can't buy one yet (already spending $150 some extra equipment I will need). I just started this thread because it crossed my mind and I wanted some feedback. I don't really know what I'll do yet. Maybe break out my old Rebel xt. It's kind of shabby and has a few dead pixels... but I've taken some amazing photos with that camera and sold some for a lot of money. And I can always clone out the dead pixels. It could work ok as a backup.

www.jimpowellphoto.com

What lens will you put on it ?, you don't have a low light lens:lol:

Yeah, i certainly considered this... but I guess i feel a bit like it's not so bad when it's a huge corporation like best buy. I'd never consider it if it were a smaller store, but I've felt used and abused by big corporations over and over (especially by best buy). They make it clear their only concern is money... so I don't feel so bad trying to save a few of my dollars.

www.jimpowellphoto.com

It's incredible the lengths some people will go to justify their actions.

This thread is hilarious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back