A Recent Portrait, Martin Schoeller Inspired

ColeGauthier

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good afternoon to all! Here is a recent portrait on a variation of Martin Schoeller's photos.

C&C is welcomed!

1669597_768817343203289_4107496085749268814_o.jpg

10903971_768817346536622_6229137036735530385_o.jpg

#2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> #1

Very nice homage. It looks like his eyes have teeth!! :bek181:

The issue I have is he's ever so slightly turned from the camera, and it's throwing me off because It makes one side of his face appear larger.

Very nice homage. It looks like his eyes have teeth!! :bek181:

The issue I have is he's ever so slightly turned from the camera, and it's throwing me off because It makes one side of his face appear larger.

Thanks! Now that I look at it, it does appear that way... I will pay attention to that on my next shoot. Cheers :)

Looks good.. More light around the eye sockets maybe if you want it to look like Martin's.

Good afternoon to all! Here is a recent portrait on a variation of Martin Schoeller's photos.

C&C is welcomed!
My question is; why?

I looked at the gallery online and just have to ask; why?

C&C is welcomed!
My question is; why?

Well, I like to study people's work so I can improve my own and what better way to do that then try out techniques that I've never dealt with. Practice with different settings, positions, lighting, does make a difference. Plus, I do love his other stuff too, not just his personal portraits.

At least you'll know what NOT to do in the future :p

C&C is welcomed!
My question is; why?

WHY?!

This is the thread that officially kills any credibility I gave this forum.

WHAT. the hell. is WRONG with Martin Schoeller's work? I HAVE to know, what you think is so terrible about it.

OP:

Your first image, I opened and literally said, "Wow. That's a really solid portrait." You don't get that much around here. So good job on that.

Second one isn't as strong. I feel like the lighting isn't quite there.

But by all means... Schoeller isn't a bad person to study at all.

do I need to? Isn't my subjective opinion just as valid as yours? So because I don't like a particular person's style I'm killing the credibility of this forum?

How is it not any different to what Cole said in post #7 that I was responding to in jest?

do I need to? Isn't my subjective opinion just as valid as yours? So because I don't like a particular person's style I'm killing the credibility of this forum?

How is it not any different to what Cole said in post #7 that I was responding to in jest?

If you're responding to me, then the question I asked is valid. You have a subjective opinion, and I am trying to understand why you have that opinion. As well, you say "what NOT to do in the future". So there's something about that style that you find distasteful and we "shouldn't" do. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

I just don't like his close portraits.

its unflattering, its the same over and over, its capturing bad expression, its not good lighting--overall its very gimmicky to me. Doing the same thing over and over again with a new twist to keep it "fresh".

Last edited:

C&C is welcomed!
My question is; why?

WHY?!

This is the thread that officially kills any credibility I gave this forum.

WHAT. the hell. is WRONG with Martin Schoeller's work? I HAVE to know, what you think is so terrible about it.

OP:

Your first image, I opened and literally said, "Wow. That's a really solid portrait." You don't get that much around here. So good job on that.

Second one isn't as strong. I feel like the lighting isn't quite there.

But by all means... Schoeller isn't a bad person to study at all.

Thanks Rose, if that's you correct name! I do find I am lacking some light in the face, it was a tough one because the house wasn't very big and I tried placing a few reflectors to get that light in there but at least it opened up his eyes, a little, anyway. I hope to improve on this in the next shoot I have today.

its unflattering, its the same over and over, its not capturing bad expression, its not good lighting--overall its very gimmicky to me. Doing the same thing over and over again with a new twist to keep it "fresh".

I would have to agree with you, I wouldn't like to this exact same stuff over and over again, I mean don't get me wrong, I do like his work but doing this type of portrait a few times over again would be enough for me. It's really just to get a feel of the lighting used and the symmetrical practices of the face.

its unflattering, its the same over and over, its not capturing bad expression, its not good lighting--overall its very gimmicky to me. Doing the same thing over and over again with a new twist to keep it "fresh".

Thank you for your reply. There is a certain austere aesthetic going on there in those portraits. They definitely are not "pretty", and almost clinical. However, I do find them very interesting in that they bring you up close to the person, within the personal space even, and they appear to use no makeup or other means to hide the blemishes of the human face. So you get the emotional effect of being very close to someone. Certainly, if I was that close to a stranger, I'd feel uncomfortable. Having said that, I do find the portraits worth looking at as they seem to bring you within a certain space.

Most reactions

Back