a revelation and a dilemma :)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dizzyg44, Aug 20, 2009.

1. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Revelation: (not like anyone hasn't said it before)

The D700 is nothing more than a body of supreme awesomeness!!! My only regret is not getting it sooner. The body feels so good in my hands, like a machine instead of a toy.

The Sigma 70-200 2.8 is a beast of precision, WOW! It's amazingly quiet, fast, and sharp throughout it's range.

Even my bag of grinding bolts sounding 80-200/2.8 push pull is drastically faster on the D700 than my old D90 :thumbup:

I'm blind as a bat, the D700 viewfinder is a godsend to me.

So many new features, settings my head is spinning :lol:

Dilemma:

What to do with my D90 body (mb-d80), 80-200/2.8 PP, Sigma 70-300, +-40gb's of fast SD cards (including an Eye-fi Pro)?

The D90 is an awesome camera, but just not even close to the '7. I had to learn the layout, for some reason the '7 seems natural right away.

I can't really decide if I want to keep it, selling it for a D300 to have a DX with similar layout (I rarely do landscape, nature), get a 24-70/2.8 (get rid of sigma 28-70/2.8) to complete my setup. Ideally, I'd like to be a complete gear whore by keeping it all and still getting all of the above but that's just not a possibility.

Too many choices....

The kit I'm definitely keeping is:
    D700
    Nikkor 50/1.8
    sigma 28-70/2.8
    Sigma 70-200/2.8
    SB-800
    Canon G10 for pocket cam

Anywho, enough rambling, just excited and confused all at the same time :D

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I tend to keep it all. I now have 4 models, 7 bodies (4 D90's), and am currently lens shopping to add 3 more lenses to my kit.

I like the idea of selling the D90 and having a D300 as backup.

3. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can PM me and I'll give you my address and you can fedex the D90 to me. :)

4. SanDiegoPhotographer

SanDiegoPhotographer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    why not sell the sb-800 and the D90 and get a SB-900 and the D300. The SB-900 is the greatest investment I have ever made. I used to use a SB-800 with the gary fong dome diffuser, but the SB-900 alone is way better.

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you like the Sigma 70-200, you should have tried the Nikkor 70-200... I'm pretty sure that the first thing you would have said is that shooting with the Nikkor 70-200 is as far above the Sigma as your D700 is above the D90. ;)

Oh, if you want true information overdose about your D700, I highly recommend the D700 PDF manual from Thom Hogan (Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide). 830 pages of info, hundreds of items that are not even in the Nikon manual or pretty much anywhere else.

Makes a good read if you are serious about wanting to get to know the true capabilities of your D700. :)

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    UGH! Now THAT would be a HUGE mistake!!!

The SB-800 is stronger, it has a foot that fits all hot and cold shoe adapters (unlike the SB-900... go try it yourself), it has 5 batteries vs the SB-900's 4, and the SB-900's thermal protection kicks in WAY early disabling the flash for working... 99% of the times during the moments you need a flash the most (even with the thermal protection disabled!). I rented the SB-900 for my last 2 weddings... I ended up putting the SB-900 in it's bag and using the SB-600s instead after getting fed up of it always cutting out.

I would *gladly* pay the price of a SB-900 for a new SB-800... matter of fact, I'd be good for 2 of them! Unfortunately, Nikon discontinued the SB-800... what a freaking mistake.

Keep the SB-800, it is clearly the better speedlight.

7. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so tempting........on the D300 and SB-900. Or a few more SB-800 or 600's (but I already have 3 mono's)

Could also sell the 758DR since it doesn't get used much (make quite a bit of profit since I got it less than 1/2 price new)