A rookie to the group.

Crashbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hmmm, I hate this type of post. I... like long walks on the beach and Mexican food?

I'm 30, living in the southern portion of West Tennessee. I bought my first camera in 2010, a Fujifilm Finepix S1800 bundle kit. For six years it was nice to have a way to document things and it was a gadget to play with. I never shot more than 20 photos with out outside of automode and never bothered with learning much.

In December my mother got very sick and basically everything changed. I was finding myself in an awkward situation of waiting and worrying a lot as her primary caregiver. Finally she got into a schedule and now I'm still doing caregiver duties though it's more a driver/waiter role. I have a lot of time to kill during her weekly treatments. The idea struck me to take the camera with me to a riverside area not far from the clinic and that's been my basic photography theme since January. It helps pass the time and give me something to do while I wait besides chewing my fingernails (and the occasional fingernail of a willing stranger. I never like to limit myself.)

I reached what I felt was a plateau in skill soon after and started looking for a more powerful/functional camera that could accommodate more creativity and functionality. I settled on a "kit". Canon Rebel SL1 with two lenses, an 18-55 and a 75-300. I spend ten to twenty hours a week near the river shooting boats, barges, birds, squirrels, and anything else that looks interesting.

Mastery isn't really going to be an option, and with my life obligations the idea of going on a thousand-mile road trip to more photographically intriguing things I'm content with learning to make the best photos I can with what I have. I'm looking forward to the future.

No wife, no kids, not much of anything. Earleir this year I had a year-long relationship go blooey, so I think the odds of getting either wife of kids are pretty lousy right now. Other than that I'm just another noob shooter who's trying to absorb as much as I can.

That's me. Happy to be here.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back