A second moth - C&C requested

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3617143656_d2fe0f6a1f_o.jpg

A focus stacked image made of 10 frames.
Each frame taken at: f8, ISO 200, 1/200sec with flash in ettl mode.

Setup; camera was setup in a manfrotto focusing rail on top of a manfrotto junior geared head all mounted on a set of tripod legs (might also be manfrotto ).

For lighting I used a 580M2 with a lumiquest softbox held above the insect as well as white paper placed below the insect and the twig it was on so as to bounce light up into his face from the flash so as not to darken the underside too much.
I stacked the image using CombineZM of which I know about 3 commands of - new stack, stack image, save. So there is a lot left to learn about this program as yet.

Well overall the final image is better than I expected, though I feel like I want to now have more frames for more depth, I focused on his face too much and missed the edges and his legs a little which is a shame I think. Also I used a rather small aperture for this sort of work - I could have shifted to a wider aperture, but I didn't want to add more complexity to this setup for an early try so stuck to a reliable aperture. If I do open up the aperture I can also then remember to lower my ISO though honestly the image from CZM already has pretty minimal noise.

An interesting point (and one which is a pain as well) is that CZM seems to brighten the final image quite a bit, this has led to problems with another image stack I did where the whites on the ruff of the moth have been near blowout in the original images (red channel too hot it seems) but the final stacked image has a clear blowout of the ruff. I might have to set the exposure to negative values in RAW editing to correct this problem or there might be a command in CZM to reduce or counter the effect.

Overall I think the shot worked, but I would be interested in hearing others views on the image and on CZM as well

Any comments/crits welcome - thank you

This stacking thing is very new to me, I am about to go do some google research but the outcome looks mighty impressive.

Alot of setup prep went into the shot and it paid off.

Well done!

Gah this is old and forgotten! Many thanks PT!
Anyone else got any input on the shot/process?

10 shots? How in the *#)($*# did you get him to hold still?

(Nice image, btw)

Chloroform is amazing, isn't it? :lmao:

This is outstanding. Now I have to learn about stacking images (as if I don't have enough other things on my 'to learn' list ...)

Many Thanks both :)
As for getting him to stay still the key is working with a sleepy moth. Found early in the moring (and during the day for many moths as they hide up in the shade) is that they are cold and sluggish from the night - so they are pefectly happy to just sit very still and not do very much at all. Soon as they warm up though they are off again!

oh he got nuked with that way way more than just 10 times ;)
you havn't seen the test shots and more

I surprised you didn't get a sharper image with 10 shots, did you use manual focus ?

Manual focus with the focusing rail being used to move the camera setup close/further form the subject. The rail does wabble though (manfrotto make)

Most reactions

Back