A seldom discussed topic for the D90... HD Video

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by eric-holmes, Feb 18, 2010.

1. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am an avid wakeboarder in the summer. I always go to the lake with my friends and try to snap a lot of cool action shots. But this summer I was thinking of trying to piece together some awesome videos. Is there any risks of using the video function on the camera? I have heard about something and pixels. I will just stick to taking pictures if it will negatively affect the camera. But I NEVER hear of anyone using the video feature on their camera. Just looking for a little input.

2. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the d90. The video function in an action sequence on ANY Dslr is useless because they simply can't autofocus fast enough. Many like the d90 don't auto focus in video at all. I have used it for artsy projects like for my video productions class of the breeze blowing in a field followed by people running through it in a peaceful way. However this was very hard. i find the capabilities of a dslr just are crap in the video department any way you spin it.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I don't have any experience with the D90, but the video on my 7D is awesome (although I haven't used it much). The weakness on mine is the poor audio quality, but professional videographers who use the 7D and 5D Mk II have work-arounds.

4. eric-holmes

eric-holmes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I do find that to be a hindrance, but you can always manually focus.

5. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't imagine there would be any risk to the camera from using the video. It was, after all, designed with video, right?

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90 in video is a WHOLE lots of manual controls. Many people don't like, and others don't have a problem with it.
    The only thing you should keep in mind is that water and electronics don't mix, so be careful.

7. iPwnF00lz

iPwnF00lz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd prefer to have the video feature manual personally. I have seen quality and it's high and nice.

8. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have a look around the net and join up to a few film/video forums and have a chat with the members there (find a big forum so there is more chance of responce). Many who are into stills photography are not into video work and even if they are many consider the DSLR video function to be "cheap".

It's is however far from cheap, it simply needs to be used in a different way to a stills camera capture. There are many in the video (esp amateurs) who are seriously looking and using the DSLR for both still video and action video work - it might have its limitations over a regular video camera, but for the features it does offer you would be looking at a lot of money to invest in a video camera for that purpose. Do have a look around as there is some fantastic work being made with these cameras.

10. brianT

brianT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't shoot much video, but I generally find that the exposure lock needs to be used, otherwise there's a noticeable choppy 'jump' in exposure -- as evidenced in that example video. Of course, if using the exposure lock the framing is somewhat limited because you can't suddenly aim the camera at the sky as it would probably be completely blown out. However, just like any video production, good lighting is important.

11. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Two words: Jelly effect.

I don't like the lack of exposure control either. Canon definitely has the upper hand here.

12. dyyylan

dyyylan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

By manual controls you mean that you can't adjust anything on the D90 in video mode? You can't even change the aperture beyond a certain range unless you have a lens with an aperture ring, and the shutter speed/iso are all automatic unless you do crazy stuff to trick it.

The 7D's video feature, as mentioned above, is very robust.

this isn't to say you can't get nice stuff out of video on a dslr, it's just that the lack of features on lower end cameras make it difficult.