a serious dilemma

uhhhh ohhhhh, mommy is having a little trouble with some of the conditions on the model release form :shock: ... here's an example of my form:

I,........................................................................................, (the models name)
do hereby give, ................................................................................ (photographers name)
and his/her assigns, licensees and legal representatives the irrevocable right to use my picture, portrait or photograph in all forms of media and in all manner, including electronic media and/or composite representations, for advertising, trade, or any lawful purposes and I waive any right to approve the finished product.

i got a histerical call from the 17 yr old and her mom is freaking out over the last sentence i believe ... "i waive any right to approve the finished product" ... i told her to have her mom call me or perhaps we can have a meeting over coffee .. i believe she want to alter the contract in some way .. i dont mind that, but i will not share copyright or ask permission to use photographs i have taken with anyone.. i'll trash them first :evil:

she's suppose to call me later, give me some ammo to bring to the table ... does this model release sound unusual?

I must be getting old, the model looks more like 12 to me rather than 17.

That must be it, I'm getting old.

You should get all contracts signed *before* the shoot, have a parent present, and maybe even have a witness of your own present. In this litigious society, you can never be too careful. As for this situation, I would just give them the photos and call it even. Don't even use them (unless you got some extraordinary shots that you want in your portfolio)... Let them have their way, send them packing, and next time get the legalities taken care of before the first shot is taken...

Looks like mine.

Does she get any prints or digital files? Sometimes that legal talk is all screwy in my mind when I'm hungry..(fooodd..)..so I don't know exactly what you're saying.

Just wondering, do you happen to have a stamp to copyright your photographs (actual prints)?

well, she sent me a sample photo and looked at least 24yrs ... and anyone under the age of 21 look all the same to me ... young :lol: ... i would consider changing the contract, but not giving up my copyright ... if they dont sign, they will get not one photo from me ... not even a preview, thats the cost, all or nothing... i was giving her 8x10's of the shoot...

its not that serious to me at this point, this is new york, there is more where that came from :D ... this time .. i will make sure i see a driver's liscense

i've had several actors and a few models that have done photo shoots, they know the procedure and they sign on the dotted line without question..

Awesome! Stand that ground :)

If things don't work out, it'll be a shame. but like you just said, there's more where that came from, and I say there's better too (there is always better).

i talked to her mom and her only concern was .. she didnt want me to sell the photos which may conflict with her daughter's modeling contract, which i can understand.. but that was not my intent anyway .. just for my portfolio ....

turns out the little one is 16yrs :lol: ... but i got some tasteful shot that are age appropriate i think ... nothing sassy ... so im gonna send her a "re-written" contract tomorrow ... before i release a thing

Dew, as a side question, how did you get started working with models? I'm interested in doing some shoots with a model, but not sure where or how to go about getting one...
(i'm right around the corner from you, in connecticut, so i could go as far afield as NYC if necessary, tho i would like to work closer to home, if possible)

i put an ad in the paper .. they do the shoot free for me and i give them a free 8x10's of the shoot ... i have them email me a recent photo of themselves to see it i would be interested in shooting them ... i've got lots of responses ....

i also put an ad in for a make-up artist to collaborate with me for free as well, got lots of responses on that too ...

a lot of people in new york want to be actors or models, portfolios are expensive ... i shoot them for free now to build my portfolio ... next month i charge them ... plus i get free advertisements from the photos i do for them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back