A serious lack of originality

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Sachphotography, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It seems that just as with anything else when a FAD comes about it comes in with a force. For photographers, the latest fad is attempting to take High Dynamic Range photos AKA HDR. As I spend countless hours searching the web and various forums I see a trend. Everybody and their stinking mother want to shoot HDR. WHY??? Why do people not develop their own style anymore? Why do people want to create the same thing 1000’s of people are trying to create? The sad reality of this new found trend is the lack of knowledge and ability needed to create a proper HDR image. I am not going to get into the technicalities of this type of photography as I do not shoot it. The reason I do not shoot HDR is out of spite for the masses of “wanna be” HDR photographers. I am not going to jump on that bandwagon which has swept photogs away by the masses. I think that people need to develop their own style. If you just have to shoot HDR because you think its cool then please research it out before you post a “my first HDR, Please C&C”. Because what happens is you take a picture in which HDR serves no purpose and then get mad when people point it out to you. Get off the wagon and get your own style. Flame me if you must. Tell me I am wrong. I don’t mind. My point is simply that the best photogs in the world and history each had their own unique style and look and feel. If you ever want to take your photography to the next leave then you MUST develop your own style and look.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's colourful, it's unique or so they think. Kind of like emo's who went out of their way to wear black and pierce themsevles to be individual only at the same time managing to form a minority group of like minded clones who all look alike, hang out together and listen to the same crap music.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A unique style of shooting does not appear overnight for most - very very few start with that unique style, they have to work hard towards it - learning to understand both the camera and also think about what it is they want to show and also what they want it too look like.

So its no surprise to me that there are so many new photographers out there (digital has hardly been mainstream for that long comparativly speaking) who don't yet have any style to their work. Some are still working toward it and many others are also content with the work they produce now - they are not trying to "push the boundaries" to "discover new forms" or "make their mark". They are happy with their photos (some could say they are luckier than the more keen photographer still seeking their point of happyness with their work). One has to understand that there are people out there quite happy with the work they produce - sure it might not be you taste or style - heck we all have things we don't like (I hate baby and kids photos) but that does not really give us the right to insult those that do or who produce such works. If anything if there is some simple skill or tip to help such people its worth far more to tell them than it is to gripe about them

So that explains the beginners - now for HDR - well firstly I think it odd that you limit your photography in such a way just because its something that others are doing and doing in a manner which (to your view) is substandard - leaves the pool way open to letting you dominate with your "unique style" of HDR (once you find it of course ;) ).
    Also I do add some blame to the popular magazines and software developers as well - they have latched onto the HDR bandwagon and activly promote it as well as lead some confusion over the terms (HRD is catchy whilst tonemapped is not). This of course leads to missinformation being rife within the beginners and light hobbyists.

As for the effect many choose to copy -- well what is wrong with copycatting? In drawning or painting tracing and copying the works of others is a very key learning skill, often greatly encouraged since as you draw the same image you pick up the skills (technical) needed to create that look - skills that can be taken and applied to ones own image and creation at a later date.
    Copycatting aside though the "go with the flow" mentality is always present in society - fashion, films, books, media, cameras -- there is always a mainstream of fashionable things - at the moment its HDR and I suspect that as video becomes more dominant in DSLRs and improving in quality that soon enough video will be the latest fad - then a new i"somethingerother" will appear - oh and a new mobile phone -- etc....

4. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My point is that to many people rush into HDR with out studying it and try to produce something they cannot. HDR is a FAD and nothing more. Don't even get me started on video in a DSLR.. no..no sirry. I will keep my mouth shut! :(

I think people rather than just latch on to what is popular; should try to develop a style that is unique to themselves. HDR can produce amazingly good pictures, but 70% of the time, the look like overexposed oversaturated blurry shots. It is typical of people though. they rush into something and do it half hearted and always wonder why they cannot produce the amazing pictures the see in magazines. Grrrrrrrrr

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    pfft but that is how I got into photography!
    No point and shoot, no film camera, only ever used a disposable a handfull of times (and most of them were never developed either, just left in a box somewhere) and before that only a handfull of snapshots on a polariod.

From that I went to a DSLR 400D - and half a year later added most of the gear in my sig... as well as a nice flash and expensive tripod.

Didn't do me any harm and yah I produced some right rubbish when I stared - I ain't met anyone who starts something new and is a pure natural born tallent. We arn't born with an understanding of apertures, ISOs and stuff - though some are born with a good eye for composition - but still that has to be realised, trained and learnt

People all go through the rubbishy stage to get to the good stage.

As for the style, like I said, you have to accept that some people just arn't after a style - all they want is to produce some nice images like what other people do and maybe frame a few or stick them on the net. Sure there are many many of these such people - there are also many who have only one little website hidden in a corner of the net who are developing their unique style and who might be the next big name -

6. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree. what happened to good old fashioned photography where people cared more about their picture than what they can do in photoshop. i think a lot of people are drawing the photographer line a little to close to the graphic designer line these days.

7. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

its the exact same thing that happened with IR shots a few years back. trends will come and go, and lots of clowns will jump on and off the proverbial bandwagon. no need to let it ruin your day

8. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    “No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.”

Recognized that? Seems to me it doesn't quite fit with your attitude here.

9. JamieR

JamieR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm agree 100% with you. I hate all the people trying to do HDR photos for the sake of it being HDR.

10. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HDR isn't a style, it is a tool in the post-processing toolbox (though one that takes some forethought).

There are things characteristic of many HDR styles (punched saturation, large DOF, 'glow', 'cartoonish') but to write off HDR as a whole as a fad is like saying 'a 3/4ths inch drill bit? total fad, you should never drill a hole THAT size.'

I do feel your pain in some respects, though, because I think sometimes people lose sight of the fact that when they're creating an HDR, the HDR-post-process will not immediately make an interesting image. It's something to add to the image while still paying mind to thinks like interest, clutter, composition, etc. I believe the HDR-for-HDR's sake without attention to the details normally given to a photo is itself a fad.

11. BKMOOD

BKMOOD TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm often tickled by people who continue to refer to HDR as a fad. Photographers have been doing HDR-type things to their photographs (with other tools) for more than 100 years. Then again, I suppose at one time people called Photoshop a fad...

12. JFew

JFew TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I heard about the DSLR's that shoot movies I almost couldn't believe it. Completely absurd! Why on EARTH would a professional camera need a movie mode?? Who is spending that much money on a camera and needing movie mode also??