a shot i have been waiting for ... down the tubes.

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im getting a little pffd about this issue. I have a blur issue.
I went out and waited a while to get a good spot on the shuttle launch yesterday. I got my 300mm lens. tripod, and some food and got to my spot! Pre-focused, made sure my tripod was on solid ground, and used mirror lock up. Lens was cleaned and polorizer on and clean. Made sure as well about my diopter. I set on manual focus then auto and there is the red dots so back to manual.. focus is on! couple test shots of the area i wanted. They looked great on the veiwfinder so i waited and waited... and then 3..2..1.. clicke click click, blur blur blur. the first one is at 300mm and the next is 75mm. It was about 1.5 to 2 miles away as well , if it changes anything. I felt that I covered my bases. I shot the whole launch with about 35 shots (in JPEG and RAW) and they are all this way. I got 2 of the best. now i just need your opinion wether this might be my cheap $150 75-300mm lens or could it still be ME? Im really wanting to get this out of the way and get some clear shots on this lens. My 90mm is crystal clear on a tripod. I know they are not straight but this is right off the camera.
What do you all think?

4608257967_55934e954c_b.jpg

at 75mm

4608257431_9ddfe7d70c_b.jpg

I feel for you - really.

But: A 75-300mm for $150 ??? Sorry man, throw it away. If you're shooting at 300mm with such a cheap lens you can't get better than this 2 miles away.

I'm sure you know this that the pros use good glass starting at $8000+ to get these kind of shots done well.

This is a perfect example of what a cheap lens can do to a once in a lifetime opportunity. Sadly, you will not be seeing this shuttle taking off anymore, unless NASA runs into an issue with the other two.

Save up all your money and get good glass. It's worth more than the body of your camera.

I hate to hear what i thought was the reality. There were lots of SLRs there and most had canon "L" lenses. 500mm or more. I got the lens as a package when i got the camera. I feel like a wasted money on it but I guess im still hopeing...

I set on manual focus then auto and there is the red dots so back to manual.. focus is on!

What were your settings? Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, just curious if a smaller aperture would have helped, depending on what you were at already.

A quick check indicates manual focus is recommended, possibly the pre-focus spot was off a little from the actual shuttle?

Sorry, I can imagine the let down.

I understand what you're going through.

Never ever buy a D-SLR kit! It's a simple as that. You just make your life complicated.

Take the time now and save, even if it takes years and then buy a really good lens. First off, by then you'll have a lot more experience and also appreciate the quality of the glass. I stopped shooting stuff that's far away with a telephoto lens because my 18-200mm VR sucks as well at 200mm.

I won't buy another lens for a few years now and save for my next prime. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I can get really good zoom lenses. Like, really good :)

Sure its a cheap lens, but I think pretty much all super zooms are usually a little soft at their longest focal length. Probably more so with this cheap lens. I have a Tamron 70-300 $175 dollar lens which had this effect, I also just bought a $550 Canon 70-300 IS lens and still notice it although not as badly. Go to Popphoto.com and look up zoom reviews and I bet you will see what I mean. Every single one mentions image quality degrading at the longest end.

A $150 lens from how may miles away... ?? I'd be pretty happy with #2.

What were your settings? Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed, just curious if a smaller aperture would have helped, depending on what you were at already.

A quick check indicates manual focus is recommended, possibly the pre-focus spot was off a little from the actual shuttle?

Sorry, I can imagine the let down.
F 5.6 (open all the way) 1/1000 at iso 200

What brand of camera/lens did you use? The second picture is still pretty cool.
I have a canon xs using a 75-300mm EF tele. Also i had a Sunpac polorizer. It couldnt have helped either but i dont think it would have sofened it this much.

I agree that its not a good lens. I didnt know as much as i do now about DSLR's. I learned my lesson and am only getting good glass now. I see the difference!

Well, I think that's why it's so soft. That and maybe some improper focus. I've been pretty disappointed with my $500+ 70-300 IS when using it wide open. When you stop the lens down to f/9, and you don't really have to go THAT far, the image quality improves a ton. Stick your gear on a tripod and try it out.

Sorry for your dissappointment.
This is something I learned early on too, with cheap glass.
But, be happy you got to experience the event, at least.
I wish I could see stuff like that.

I just got the 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 IS L
It'll make you want to runover your zoom with a truck. (take pictures if you do)

ISO100
f/5.6
1/250
@400mm
100% crop SOOC
4607876272_d3bd271146_o.jpg

Granted, this wasn't 2 miles away. I can't wait to see what the lens does over distance.

Damn. I see why people shell out for the white Canon lenses..

EDIT: It's important to note that Bitter's shot is from a full frame sensor. But a good sensor doesn't make bad lenses better, so it still makes a valid point.

I hate to hear what i thought was the reality. There were lots of SLRs there and most had canon "L" lenses. 500mm or more. I got the lens as a package when i got the camera. I feel like a wasted money on it but I guess im still hopeing...
I don't think it's wasted money. A lot can be learned even with a kit lens, and they aren't completely incapable of taking good shots. I've taken many quality pictures with my 18-200 kit lens...but then again my camera has in-camera shake reduction so that may be part of the reason.
A $150 lens from how may miles away... ?? I'd be pretty happy with #2.
I too thought #2 was alright. The horizon needs straightening, but considering the distance and lens I think it is a good capture.

Well, I think that's why it's so soft.
Bingo. Close down the aperture some and increase the ISO to keep exposure time the same. Actually you could probably cut the exposure time down quite a bit and keep a sharp picture. Even though the shuttle is moving as crazy high speeds, when it's miles away it seems much slower and a slower shutter speed could probably still maintain a sharp image.

Ahh yes i should have stopped down .. dang. I was thinking speed of the subject i should try to keep it fast to go for the shutter over f/stop. A simple 1/400 or 500 should have worked right? That might have got me around f/8 i think ... I know better for quality! thanks for the reminder!
Another thing i wanted to do and didnt in the heat of the moment was zoom out little by little keeping the frame full. It all happens in a few seconds and i went from 300 right to 75 not thinking. I guess the more things go into practice the more fluent you become with thinking of the right things when ya shoot..

Bitter, I see the quality diff on the L lens. wish i had that yesterday lol.
Goes to show you that you get what you pay for!
tho i could have paid off my car for what you dropped on that lmao ...

Most reactions

Back