A shot on Infrared Photography

sO how exactly does infrared filter photography work? i know film needs infrared film, but most people do it digitally, how is it done? photos are great, trees look awesome.

Well, the basic idea is to place a thin Infrared Film (or filter) on the sensor (or the lens) to block most other light rays except Infrared Rays. The effect is, most blue colors turn dark, red colors turn white, and for some reason, leaves and foliage turn white too when hit with enough light. It depends on the thickness of the IR film how much other rays are blocked.

This explanation is only from my own understanding so take it with a grain of salt.

I like that alot, very subtle. Can you just screw a filter on and shoot away?

I just recently did an Infrared project for school. With film obviously you need infrared film and a filter that only allows infrared light to shine thru. With digital you shoot normally and if you want to your sky's to turn black you need to shoot on a very sunny day.Cloudy days will not work very well. Then in photoshop you go to image>adjustments>black&white, and then when the window for b&w comes up at the top bring the slider down and select the infrared adjustment and with the sliders adjust to your like-ing. The chlorophyl in plants is what makes them glow when shot in infrared. or so my proffessor tells me.

@desertdave: Basically yes. But the IR filter I got is so dark, you wouldn't see anything with the filter on even on a bright sunny day. So I compose first, then screw the filter on then click. Thanks!!!

@Misfitlimp: Oh ok! There you go. Chlorophyl. Thanks for that.
Although with this one I didn't really use the black and white filter from photoshop, I used channel mixer and swapped the red and blue channels but with a little more adjustment. That is why the image has a blue tone of some sort.

I keep coming back to this shot....Amazing!! I cannot wait to try it out. Thanks for the tip by the way.

I really like this shot! I've never been a fan of palm trees shot with IR, but this shot has a mix of brown with the classic IR white. It gives this shot believability, I know that sounds strange but IR normally tricks the viewer into thinking they are looking at a snowy image and lets face it how often does it snow in the tropics, hense believability. Sorry for the rambling, it is a great shot and composition, period.

I really like this shot! I've never been a fan of palm trees shot with IR, but this shot has a mix of brown with the classic IR white. It gives this shot believability, I know that sounds strange but IR normally tricks the viewer into thinking they are looking at a snowy image and lets face it how often does it snow in the tropics, hense believability. Sorry for the rambling, it is a great shot and composition, period.

Thank you so much! I've never thought of it that way. I will keep that in mind!

Most reactions

Back