A simple beginner's Bronica question

andreyp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just received my first MF camera from ebay - Bronica ETRSi (AE-II, 220 back and 75mm lens). First instinct - start to "imitate" shooting" by cocking the handle (with no film) and then pressing shutter release (my Nikon F75/N75 "works" Ok without loading the film).

What I got is that by rotating the handle it obviously rotates the film back but after rotating handle on 180 degrees I only hear a little "click" and then it allows to continue rotating motion. When "multiple exposure" switch is turned ON - camera behaves as it supposed to be - shutter is cocked, handle stops rotating after 180 degrees and I can press shutter release with the normal SLR sound. Well, I got one "problem" :) - film is not winding in this mode.

Is it normal? My assumption that when film is loaded, there might be some "sensor" which enables system to operate normally only when film is loaded.

I already ordered 120 film back but it should be delevered in a few days and I want to determine if camera works as it supposed to.

Thanks,
Andrey

Ok,

After reading other sources and pdf file of ETRSi manual I finally think that the behavior is correct:

Quote:

Can I fire the camera without film and without switching the multiple exposure switch on? No. You can wind and wind and wind and nothing will happen. The shutter will not cock, won't fire and the mirror will not go up. This is normal.

Sorry for bothering.

-A

Multiple exposure switch is intended to allow multiple exposures to be made on a single frame, hence no winding on of the film between exposures. Second RTM. Any and all questions can be answered by simply reading the manual. I've been cranking film for twenty years and even though I can pick up most any camera and make great photographs with it, whenever i get a new one I sit down with the manual first and go through it page by page. Then I take it out for abuse.

There is a little lever by the crank... multi exp, try switching this n you'll be able to shoot your hearts content but be sure to switch it with film in the camera or you'll end up with an empty roll of pics.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, RTFM. Although it's pretty minimalistic :eek:)

PS. Still waiting for 120 back and film to try it in action :)

Most reactions

Back