a spot of skating

WTF?

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive just recently started doing some skate photography now that ive got myself a fisheye and a couple of flashes.
the fisheye i use is a samyang 8mm i got from ebay for AU$210 (fantastic lens for the price, especially compared to its competitors), and i use 2 vivitar 285hv's.

front tail
4403819574_8f9d65e9bf_b.jpg

noseblunt
4430463201_94135845d1_b.jpg

noseblunt 2
4431242796_91a44a988a_b.jpg

fakie flip
4469470904_96f9cf1fa3_b.jpg

fakie flip angle 2
4468694751_b52e840547_b.jpg

decided id grab a group shot quickly just for fun :p
4468694935_e2a3d231c7_b.jpg

jmo

fakie flip is the best here, what I guess you're finding is that the subject easily gets lost unless right on top of you, with that fisheye?

AU$210 sounds like good value? here in Japan they are about AU$430 and unavailable used.

hah, yeah i kept expecting him to travel further through the frame so kept clipping him a bit, but i got it in the end :p

yeah it is pretty damn good value, i got it second hand with a small hairline crack in part of the built in hood, doesnt effect it or anything so its all good :D

one a side note, thanks for being the one person out of 102 who actually replied haha

I really miss the scene... Thanks for posting, brings back great memories. Now enough about me, 1 is the best IMHO.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but the first two photos are incredible! Tips?

oh golly, i remember this thread!

hmmmm, tips....tips tips tips....
equipment wise i guess a good start is getting some off camera lighting, youll want to grab yourself at least 2 speedlites.
a fisheye is always handy and very popular when doing skating, they allow you to get the skater filling the frame but you also get the whole scene in - although they can get a bit played out.

in actually taking the picture - look for good angles, a lot of the time you want to get low and shoot up; doing so emphasises size and makes things look bigger.
as mentioned before you want to get the scene into the shot, dont have JUST the skater, you want to have a little bit of the run up and a decent portion of the landing; photos tell a story, so you want to be able to tell whats going on. if the photo has the person doing a kickflip but doesnt show any run up or landing, they could be doing it down a gutter or down a 10 set. if you cant easily tell whats going on, its no good.

when timing the photo (with flip tricks), you generally want to get it 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the flip. too early and you get the board rocketing upwards, to late and they've caught it and you cant tell what they did. if you get it at about 3/4, just a little bit before they catch it, they've reached their peak, the board has levelled out, and you can usually tell what trick it was.

other than that, as with anything, its just practise.

heres a couple more recent ones:

4631015907_3287d21eae.jpg

4762454687_ef82f1da8d.jpg

4516665724_5355e9c499.jpg

Thanks alot, i really love your work. This will help me alot, i'm looking into speedlites now :D
Those photos are amazing, they look so clean and i love the shadow in the first one.
Cheers.

cool photos, i think that second one turned out really good

of the second thread with the three photos...for me 1 and 2 are absolutely WOW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back