A Stick Of Wood, A Sharp Knife, A Little Conversation

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had an interesting conversation with this gentleman today on the subject of carving. Removing wood a little at a time is a test of patience, once removed you can't put it back and make it look right, sometimes you just have to set it down and look at it for a bit. When you think about it, that's pretty sound advice for most of life's problems.

Last edited:
Very nice! I met a man very much like yours a few years ago who was working on what was obviously going to be a horse. I asked him exactly how he went about the job. His answer, " I start by assembling the right tools and test them for sharpness. Then I very deliberately select the right piece of wood. Then, using the appropriate tool I just cut away all the wood that doesn't look like a horse."

@baturn I was in a carving group that was hosted by a master. I learned so much from him, he just seemed to magically know the angle of the tool, the force required and how the grain was going to change the first two. I still carve a few things around Christmas but not as much as used to.

I love the whole Gatlinburg, Smokey Mountains area. There are so many craftsmen/craftswomen there that you could easily find just about anything you want. I think I like your color version best.

@baturn I was in a carving group that was hosted by a master. I learned so much from him, he just seemed to magically know the angle of the tool, the force required and how the grain was going to change the first two. I still carve a few things around Christmas but not as much as used to.
I do a little carving also. Self taught from books and just talking with real woodcarvers. I like wood spirits ( like the ones upper right in your photo), but mostly I just start with a big piece of wood and a sharp knife and end up with a pile of shavings, a small piece of wood and a dull knife.

I do a little carving also. Self taught from books and just talking with real woodcarvers. I like wood spirits ( like the ones upper right in your photo), but mostly I just start with a big piece of wood and a sharp knife and end up with a pile of shavings, a small piece of wood and a dull knife.
I find the first too hard and contrasts. The B&W is an improvement especially with the density of the wood. I'd try a very light sepia with a touch less contrast and some selective dodging and burning.

I find the first too hard and contrasts. The B&W is an improvement especially with the density of the wood. I'd try a very light sepia with a touch less contrast and some selective dodging and burning.

I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. Negative or Positive they all help. In all of my images of late, I've been exploring a more gritty side. I know it's not something that everyone finds appealing.

While SOOC images are great, I'm also finding that a fully exposed digital file, is a data goldmine of multiple images just waiting to emerge.

I like it better in color, but I agree sepia might be an option. I think there are so many things in the photo there are a lot of lines and shapes, and for me B&W can emphasize that. Which is fine if that enhances the picture. Sepia might tone it down from having as much contrast as B&W.

Usually if I'm shooting B&W I think about the light and dark and how I think it will work in B&W. If I'm shooting film then I have to decide that for 24/36 or at least 8 photos' worth of images.

edit - I should've said film or Polaroids.

@vintagesnaps I still lean more toward the color myself.

@baturn my last piece of any significance was a 24" oval deep relief of an eagle holding a furled American flag. Took a lot of days on that one, and I still need to finish staining/toning.

I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. Negative or Positive they all help. In all of my images of late, I've been exploring a more gritty side. I know it's not something that everyone finds appealing.

While SOOC images are great, I'm also finding that a fully exposed digital file, is a data goldmine of multiple images just waiting to emerge.

TO my eye the color version highlights and makes the face/head the subject. On the other hand the BW makes the hand and the carving the central subjects. As to which you choose, in my opinion, rests solely on what you want to make your main subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back