The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have just noticed the last few days that there has been a remarkable surge of actual honesty - most of it quite civil - but real opinion popping up on the reviews. And not nearly as much of the smarmy 'why that is such a delightful something baby and the being OOF and underexposed doesn't hurt all that much.'

Truth without varnish or brutality.

It is refreshing - and a little frightening.
I will have to be much more careful of what I post.

haha, i know what you mean!

if it continues we should all get better because of it.

I haven't posted much in the past few weeks, so I had no idea. I should put a few up and maybe someone will finally tell me what I'm doing wrong.:lol:

just dont take anything personally or get your feeelings hurt you big wusses..

Having just joined I must say that this honesty above anything is what I joined for, honest, brutal even, opinion on my efforts.
I've got to the point where I'm really pleased with some of my shots, and need to be put in my place pronto by people who know their stuff!
So gimme your best shot all you Simon Cowells of TPF! :D

I have just noticed the last few days that there has been a remarkable surge of actual honesty - most of it quite civil - but real ...

What a wonderful comment to make!

-Sorry, had that lodged in my system.

:)

I have just noticed the last few days that there has been a remarkable surge of actual honesty - most of it quite civil - but real opinion popping up on the reviews. And not nearly as much of the smarmy 'why that is such a delightful something baby and the being OOF and underexposed doesn't hurt all that much.'

Truth without varnish or brutality.

It is refreshing - and a little frightening.
I will have to be much more careful of what I post.

What a wonderful comment to make!

-Sorry, had that lodged in my system.

:)

Well, in landscape that's all gone now. It's a shame that there isn't something in between the sugar sweet galleries and the 'you'd better have a specific problem' critique.

Something like where a couple posts could be put up and an reasonably objective/honest critique could be posted; Maybe like, your photo almost sucks. It would suck less if.. .

Hm, maybe not that brutal.

But a decent honest, review has always helped me get better, and I'd rather be a good photographer than have a bzillion buddies.

Possibly a section in between the two where it's a little more than social kassissing?

Well, in landscape that's all gone now.

I tend to save the real critiquing for the critique section. I mostly view landscape, etc. as "hey, look what I did", unless there is a specific request for a critique.

Maybe adding a comment like "I dare you to find anything right with my awesome picture!" would get people fired up. :lol:

The problem is that it takes longer to figure out how to be politically correct than it does just to critique ... and even then it's a 50:50 chance that the photog doesn't come back with a "That's how I like it ..." ... or "My unsharp and underexposed photo shows the mood ... ", ala Traveler's recent experience with a dog photo. It's just easier to walk away than waste one's time dropping sage advice on fallow ground. As my Momma says "... if you can't say anything nice ... than don't say anything at all ..." sorta crosses my mind when I see all the mediocrity on this forum.

Gary

It is clear to me that when people leave comments that actually avoid the photographic issues of the picture, that ends up making subsequent comments about the image much more difficult.

I have taken to avoiding or making comments on the following categories of postings:

-when there are 4-12 pictures in the originial post.
-when there are 3 or 4 'isn't that a cute baby' or 'I had a dog like that' comments posted before I get to it
-when OP's comments or title include the words 'messing around' or 'random'
-when the title is 'meaningful' and necessary to interpret the picture

Any time I put in on these seem to be a waste.

I do get concerned for the fate of the forum for serious photogs when the % of these and 'unfinished' photos grows at such an alarming rate.

I have noticed a great deal more tact in the responses on this site. And yes, it is creepy.

Most reactions

Back