A suggestion

Chiller

Mental case
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if so, please forgive me.
Anyways...over the last few months, I have noticed constant bickering,fights, name calling, about criqitues, and who wants it, who doesnt, who should and who should not. There have been divisions in galleries, deleting of a criqitue forum...and so on.
Just a simple idea I had that might not even be possible. Be we have a "ok do edit" , "not ok to edit" available in our CP. It is simple.
Can we not have a, "ok to critique" , "not o.k to critique" Seems this has be come more of an issue then people taking it upon themselves to edit other members photos.
terri....I dont know if this is even possible with the software TPF uses, but it might solve some of the arguements that have occoured in the last little bit.

Please dont make this thread a pizzing match. It is just something that popped into my head.
.....O.k back to my crypt. :lmao::lmao:

I saw something of the like suggested once before but, I think it got dround out in the overall forum discussion.

I think thought of "ok to critique" , "not o.k to critique" option holds water personally.

There is just too much nattering about this subject in the thread, and people are always on each others cases. Pretty much had enough of it for my tastes.
For some reason I think I remember it being brought up before, but as usual, the threads get out of control before any resolution takes place.
I think this might be a simple way of dealing with this whole critique thing. Sure it is not fool proof, cause a fool will come along and try something. :lol::lol:
It could look like this.
"Please Critique my images"
"Please do not Critique my images"

If it is in green...go nuts...if it is in red..."nice shot" works. :D

I'm still new photography-wise and I like this idea. I've been on since fall & in the last month alone the whinging isn't helping shots improve. Love those options on the User panel!

Chiller....how nice of you to join the living on occasion.:lol:

I agree that something needs to be done and I like your approach to the issue, it's a positive consideration (OM'sO). However there will still be those who will not appreciate the criquite....and so what!

Chiller....how nice of you to join the living on occasion.:lol:

I agree that something needs to be done and I like your approach to the issue, it's a positive consideration (OM'sO). However there will still be those who will not appreciate the criquite....and so what!
Not sure how you all enjoy this light so much tho. :lmao::lmao:

Thanks for commenting Kazoo, and PNA> I know a lot wont appreciate the criqitue. With a forum this large, people are going to be positive and negative. Just want to toss something out there, in hope of a little resolution to all this inhouse bickering over this. It might help us, who just enjoy photography as a hobby, and sharing out images, and for those who want to get some critique, they will recieve that too, from different levels. If for some reason you do have your option turned to off, the poster could always state that in a certain thread, they would like critique.
We were all noobs at one point, and Im just trying to see if we can fix something here. Sort of my last effort I guess. :(

No offence to any of the posters in this thread, but this is an example how things start getting out of control here.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126495

...again...Im am not trying to single anyone out here.

I'm not sure that that much can be done to avert such non-productive comments. It just takes some folks longer to grow up than others.

Wonder where the indiviual respect that I grew up with has gone. Seems to me that the world as a whole is on a downward slide....:confused:

Question....which poster do you cut off, the postie or the poster???? or let it ride?

Thinking about this a little more I can't really see how this addresses the direct problem - like the other recent suggestion for a beginners photo posting subesction it is dancing round the direct problem at hand.
Granted it does mean that people who never want any comments or crits can get that set, but I feel that the Just for Fun section does well enough for such posts where a person is not looking for crits. The rest of the time I can see people just setting it to yes to get comments.
Meanwhile it still won't stop the idle insults and direct speaking (which is often taken by some to mean an attack or insult) which will still be present.
I have tried thinking of a solution to this and I admit I am comming up dry for an idea to tackle the problem directly. Part of me says that this is a problem which will phase away in time, but another says that it is problem that is stopping people from posting and also one which is a current major issue,

I would also like to add that I feel that (in some cases) this problem might be being seen as more of a problem by a side effect of the recent complaints threads so people are feeling under attack before they are even (if they ever are) attacked.
All I can think of is for people to keep vigil and watch for cases like the above and report them to the mods - jumping in and arguing yourself just exacerbates problems most of the time and in a short space the thread is full of people fighting this way and that and the photo is left sitting alone at the top

PNA...that brings up a whole other discussion about respect. Not only do the people that cause these issues on the forums disrespect other members, but also the people who provide these sites, like Chase and the ,Mods who have the job of keeping peace. But that is another issue all together, and yes , part of todays society. With forums that are subject related, like photography, you would think that people could keep personal issues, and other stuff out of it, but it is going to happen.

Overread... With the "photos o.k to edit" or not, it is a simple yes or no. It could be ths same with critique. Im not suggesting if you mark your threads for non critique, people cant comment, but as it now, a lot of people are making their threads, c & c appreciated. For the members that just like to comment with simple replies, this conflict of whether, a photo can be critiqued on or not might be resolved.
Naturally, there will be people that wont be happy with the responses, but there has to be a starting point, or this will get worse.

I think I just speed typed this:lmao::lmao::lmao: I might take up secretarying:lmao:

I think that just having a message that 'critique is OK' isn't really enough.

The problem (as I see it) is not that some want critique and some don't. I think that most probably would. The problem was getting useful critique and trying to keep it separate from the less useful posts. Which of course takes more effort from the OP and the person giving critique.

It would be nice to have a solution to the critique issue so it's good to keep the conversation going.

I think I just speed typed this:lmao::lmao::lmao: I might take up secretarying:lmao:

Back in your crypt....!:lol:

Unless there's a full time mod at the controls, this problem might not go away. Prehaps....A person interested in becoming a member must read the thread requirements and initial them prior to full membership rights for posting. Then there may be grounds for banning....???????

With respect of others being a paramount issue....you know, the Golden Rule!

Big M. Thanks for your comments. I think the line, which is my own opinion and not based on facts, is whethera member expects a comment , or a critique. Some are happy with nice shot, some want more.
It is a tough call, cause not every member can be satisfied with the results. There are a lot of other forums, some that have absolutley brutal critique....I dont mean in bad, but they are really harsh on each other and the members are quite happy with it. I tried one, and went ....whoa...not my gig. :lmao:
I think with TPF, we have a mixture of both types of members. Some that only post for fun, and some that post for critique.
I have seen members posting a photo, and expecting critique, without offering up any info on how they achieved the shot. Sure it can get some response, but every situation is different.
I have seen a difference of opinion on whether the photo should be the finished product up for critique, or a photo that was taken, and the OP is lookin to improve on that one.
I think with the yes or no critique option, it is a start someplace, just to eliminate all this fuss and bickering.

PNA...dont be worrying about that... I look horrible in a skirt and heels. These legs are not fit for a grocery store. :lmao::lmao:
I have been a mod on other forums, and even tho it is not a paying job, it takes a long time to get the behind the scenes jobs done. There are not enough hours in the day to finish most chores around the house or work, and then look after a forum adds to that. Sure, they were willing to take on the job, but for me, it reflects that respect issue again. A full time mod monitoring something like this is a good idea, as long as there is a guideline written from the start.

Please forgive me, I did not intend on having such a long reply. :blushing:

Well, for one, I enjoy reading comments and discussing photos in general, my own included. Critique is a different animal entirely, and unless specified otherwise, I figure any photos posted should be considered finished, subjective works.

By subjective I mean if you like a shot, say so, and if it can be defined, describe why. Discussions are fun. Sometimes I like talking about what a photo makes you feel. So, I like comments & discussion on a positive theme. With my own photos, I even appreciate criticism from people I ~know~ and trust. The sad part can be sometimes even a simple acknowledgement can open a floodgate of -stuff. I've learned just to say thanks and do my own considerations privately. I've learned to make liberal use of the 'ignore' option. Occasionally someone gets ahead of the game though. Considering this, yeah, I'm all for the idea.

The reason I'm responding- I notice Overread's combining both the words 'Comments & Criticism.' Again, I enjoy reading comments on not only my own work but others also and would hate to see someone who may misinterpret this combination refrain from thinking the OP doesn't want anything said at all.

Thanks again Abraxas. Im going to toss a question out, and see. I think the majority of people who want their stuff critiqued, would post a ....say...finished copy, or a final edit or whatever that description might be. :lmao::lmao: But what does a person do, if they have a photo, they are unsure of but want "critique". Say this person is a newbie, posting for the first time, and they want to know how to improve a shot. This is not a final shot, but they are just lookin for help.

You are right in saying "discussions are fun", and that was what it used to be here. It is the combining of "comments and critisim " that has to be resolved, or these issues will continue.
Without getting off topic, the one problem I have with the "ignore" option is that...sure the OP can ignore the person they have blocked, but unless the other members have that person blocked they can still see the comments. That door is left open for two people to go at it. I was lobbying for the "Super Ignore" button a while back. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

When I comment on a shot I often lean away from photoshop advice past suggesting a lighting or levels change simply because it opens up a whole new level of skills and technicallities - unless the op asks for it of course.
Besides I always say where in a shot you might do things differently for "next time" because there often is a next time for many - maybe not the same subject, but similar conditions and lighting and if they shoot and make a mistake that they made before that means they are not learning - so I like to offer that advice.
And even if the op does not "need" that advice (they are a pro who just slipped up or it was something that they had no control over -like lighting angle) then others who view the shot can still learn

Most reactions

New Topics

Back