A Swiss Watch

Thanks. Yes, same lens - 100mm macro (non-L). The first ones were shot on a 350D, this one was on a 1N RS with Efke 50 ISO film.

Both are also at or close to 1:1. You can really see how much more coverage full frame gives you.

I can't remember what aperture the 350D ones were at (exif should still be there though), this one was at f/11.

edit
You'll notice that the gears are relatively the same size in both of them - they were both close to the same magnification. The extra area of the 35mm frame lets you fit a lot more in there though.

Seeing the new one makes me wonder why I thought the old one was good 2 years ago. :lmao:

Last edited:
Reviving my own thread, so it's OK. :lol:

I reshot this a few days ago on Efke KB 50. I think it looks much better on film...

04191123 by J E, on Flickr

Efke 50 in Xtol.

This one is similar to #6 above. (I do like this composition better too.) The difference in the fine detail blows me away... **** digital. :lol:

wow! i can actually see the difference between this and the ones on the digital.

definitely the best in the series as well... not just for the fine details although it certainly helps! :lol:

It seems like it's better lit as well. Was your lighting setup similar?

Thanks. I think my 'eye' has improved a lot over the last 2 years. (I hope so anyway. LOL)

BTW - it's a scrapped aircraft 7 day clock. (The cannon plug connector on the back (for the lights - the clock is entirely mechanical) is bent.)

It did work, but the main spring is wound too tight, and I can't figure out how to release it...

It seems like it's better lit as well. Was your lighting setup similar?
I can't remember what the lighting was on the first one, but this one was just ambient room light.

Blast from the past......lol

Its insane how much this looks so much better on film.

f/11 iso50 film with ambient light? Did you push process?

Its insane how much this looks so much better on film.
I know, isn't it?! I swear, had I shot this one first - the earlier ones would have went straight to the recycle bin. :lol:

f/11 iso50 film with ambient light? Did you push process?
No (but I do love pushin' me some film, lol). I can't remember the exact time, but I think it was around a 2 minute exposure. I think it metered for something like 40 seconds, and I just guessed how much extra to give it to account for reciprocity failure. (I've been having a hard time finding data sheets for Efke film, guessing seems to be working so far. :lol: )

Also, because I'm using a 1N RS (which I love), I lose 2/3 of a stop compared to a 'regular' SLR, so that doesn't help for low light, low ISO stuff.

The mirror is just a thin film - it doesn't move, you shoot through it. It passes more light than it reflects (into the viewfinder). You can actually see the shutter through the mirror when you remove the lens/body cap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back