A Tale of Two Lenses: Sigma or Canon?

However, this is something of a 'leading edge' technology and I have seen several of these with failed motors. (Which are very expensive to replace.) I have rarley seen a conventional motor fail, so I am forced to conclude that USM technology can be less relaible than conventional motors.

I have been using USM lenses for more than a decade ... none of them has ever failed me so far. One of them even got soaked in the water of a mountain stream about 8 years ago ... after drying and cleaning it worked nicely again and still does.

jamescell now has me thinking about Canon's "EF 70-200mm f/4L USM". Though, if I'm thinking about spending that kind of money, the Canon "EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM" suddenly becomes an option.

Does anyone have thoughts on these two? I'm really bad at making decisions (especially now that my decision might cost me an extra $400...)

$400 difference? You can get a refurbished one from adorama for $499. To me it's worth every penny. I very rarely used my 75-300, but the 70-200 has found it's self to be on camera more than any other lens I own. I also have a 17-40 f4L and thought it would be used alot more, but the 70-200 just keeps proving it's worth. Much to my suprise I have been using it to do portraits, and with very pleasing results. Sure 200mm isn't really reaching out there too much, but I would much rather have a cropped pic taken from it than a slightly closer one taken with the 75-300. Plus you can use a 1.4 tc for 280mm (or 448 with the xt) f5.6 and still have very crisp photos.

Thanks a lot, jamescell! Is it safe to buy refurbished lenses? It feels like there's a lot that could go wrong with that; but I could just be paranoid from lack of experience in all things photographic.

I actually feel better about buying a refurbished lens. They were for some reason or another returned, some times for no reason, others for quality control anomallys. What ever the reason, a skilled Canon tech personally inspected or repaired the lens to make certain that when it was reintroduced to the market it would work perfectly. If your worried about it, call adorama and Canon and see what return and warrany policies apply to remanufactured lenses.

You've given me a lot to think about and consider. Thanks so much for all of this insight!

In case any one finds this in a search, I wanted to post a follow-up.

Based on the advice given in this thread, I ended up purchasing neither of the lens I asked about. Instead, I opted for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. I got it refurbished from Adorama.

I think this was a great decision on my part and I would highly encourage anyone else to do the same. The only problem I have with it is that a friend of mine had his father-in-law give him the Canon EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM. So I have telephoto envy. :)

But the f/4L is still a fantastic lens and is about a thousand dollars cheaper. So I recommend it.

Most reactions

Back