A Train Station At Night w/ Blur

Boston®

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I need help choosing which one of these you thinks looks best.

#1 - A 10 second exposure with no alterations
Allen8.jpg

#2 - Same photo but with some PS alteration to increase the exposure and make it a tad bit lighter.
allenhg9.jpg

#3 - A 30 second exposure that looks a tad bit overexposed to me but some people like it more than the others
Allen9.jpg

I could also try to decrease the exposure on #3 in PS. Let me know if I should try it.

First of all great shots... and great idea for shooting... you are definately lucky that the station you went to to have two trains of opposite directions happening at the same time... =)

I would probably say I like #2 the best of the three... it looks the most "properly" exposed...

i like the train lights in the first image combined with the 3rd images exposure :)

seems like they were shot from a tripod in the same exact location... should be easy to combine the 2 images :)

I think the 2nd one cropped as the 3rd is worth a go. For the third one, if you use curves to increase the contrast and bring back the shadow, leaving the bright areas alone, it might help. Right now, the shadows are too washed out for me.

I like the third. The starry lights are a personal favorite, and even though the whole thing looks hyper-exposed, it is surreal to begin with. Why not?

I'd say the first. I love how the light starts out as one "beam" and then spreads out across the picture as opposed to the 3rd where it is just one big blur, almost. I agree with Indecent Exposures, the 3rd does look photoshoped. I've created the same effect using the blurs for some of my PS work. Lovely shots and it is a great idea.

I asked here so I wouldn't get such a wide variety of opinions. So much for that idea, seems everyone likes something different. Anyways those actually aren't trains going by, this station is in the middle of a freeway and those are cars which account for the blur.

honestly i like them all, for one reason or another. but if i were to choose one, i'd choose #2 :)

I like them all to but i have to say the first is my favorite, i think there is too much light in the third and you can see to many things i.e trees and signs.
Good work though.

Great shots, I like the second one best of the three, i think the extra light makes a great shot, i think there is a little to much in the third.

ya..... something i would try at..... im not so good with LE's at night but if you could maybe bring out that Boston Skyline a little more..... say shoot stopped down all the way and pull a 45 second exposure... and get that skyline in there.... w/o overexposing the lights on the station..... that'd be excellent

I like the first one the best (then would be #2, then #3)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back