A Trip To Kenya...

Jay925

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I thought I best de-lurk myself seeing as I've been around here for a while but never actually posted anything...

I'm off to Kenya on an expedition in 2011 for a month to climb Mt. Kenya, go trekking as well as help out in the local community building schools, renovating classrooms etc. (It's long way off I know, but I have to raise £3000- around $5000) which means lots of fund-raising events and finding sponsors (which should be fun itself), and seeing as this is a once in a life-time opportunity (something which I seriously ever doubt I'll get the chance to experience again due to the sheer cost) I'd like to take my gear with me and document my trip.

So with this in mind, can anyone suggest which lenses I'd be best off bringing (preferably only 2 or 3) and any recommendations on a bag that's rugged and will withstand the elements?

Would something like this do?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...6715/show.html

Or would I need something more sturdy?

Regards,

Jay

^^^ (Fantastic links!)

On my Tanzanian safari, the animals were often very close to the jeeps, so huge lenses weren't a necessity, (although they sure don't hurt, if you can afford 'em). My dslr lens range was 18-200. Sure, I'd have loved a bigger zoom, but I was reasonably happy with the images I was able to obtain.

Sorry, the link you provided re a bag doesn't work for me. While on the actual safari it will be around your neck most of the time. And when trekking, make sure you have a comfortable neck strap. When I climbed Mt. Kili, and when I was on the safari, I had a softsided camera bag, which I carried in my backpack when it wasn't around my neck.

Thanks for the links. They were really useful

As for lenses, as it stands I have a 70-200 mm lens and plan on buying a Tamron 70-300 (purely because I have a D3000 which doesn't have a motor in the body, meaning currently I have to manual focus the 70-200, something which I don't want to be doing on Safari). I'd like to buy a better flash unit and a longer telephoto lens as well as possibly pick up a D300 just before I leave (assuming the prices are reasonable in 14 or so months time). But this is of course all wishful thinking till I've raised the original amount, THEN I'll start splashing out on gear...

As for bags, I guess I'll keep a lookout and see what I find.

Consider a teleconverter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back