A trip to the farm

Boutch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I headed out to the farm here in Tasmania, Australia. I got some (what I think are) some nice shots, but as always, I'm looking for any criticism you can throw at them in order to continue to develop. Especially looking for feedback on the creek bed image. I can't tell if I'm out of focus or moving. I shot all of these on my new Meike 35mm F/1.7. It's a manual focus and doesn't allow viewfinder zoom for focusing. It's a fun, yet potentially irritating problem to have.
Letterboxes by Daniel Boutcher, on Flickr

Dwight Water by Daniel Boutcher, on Flickr

Creek by Daniel Boutcher, on Flickr

Cows by Daniel Boutcher, on Flickr

Bathtub by Daniel Boutcher, on Flickr

Reactions: Sil
Just dragging this up for one more shot at any critique, as I am very keen to learn.

Welcome. I'm surprised no one has commented, it happens sometimes. Don't get discouraged. Overall the set is interesting. For future reference it helps to number your images.

First image-interesting, but not noteworthy.

Second - WTH is That? At first it didn't register until I saw eyes and claws. Forget the tub, I want to see more of whatever it is.

Third - Winner! Solid composition, great color. Frame it and hang it.

Fourth - Sorry but I'm not seeing where you were going with this.

Fifth - like the first interesting, but not doing much for me. Might be the fence post that's distracting.

I like the first, I can almost feel the texture of the mailboxes. I also agree the third is a winner with composition and color with the softness that suggest an impressionist's view.

AC

Welcome. I'm surprised no one has commented, it happens sometimes. Don't get discouraged. Overall the set is interesting. For future reference it helps to number your images.

First image-interesting, but not noteworthy.

Second - WTH is That? At first it didn't register until I saw eyes and claws. Forget the tub, I want to see more of whatever it is.

Third - Winner! Solid composition, great color. Frame it and hang it.

Fourth - Sorry but I'm not seeing where you were going with this.

Fifth - like the first interesting, but not doing much for me. Might be the fence post that's distracting.

Thanks heaps Smoke. The feedback on the less appealing shots is very handy, as it gives me an idea of what does and does not have mass appeal. They are still shots that I will hang on to, as they still hold some significance (they're taken on my fiance's parents' farm), but it's good to know what is and is not worth sharing on a wider scale. Still, despite them not really doing anything, I still appreciate any feedback on the technical aspects of the images.

For the image of the cows, I was really just trying for a solid shot of some cows. I shared this one, as I was pretty happy with the depth of field, along with the capture I got of the in-focus cow. composition wise, I think the shot is quite busy, or full. It turns out it's tough trying to get a shot of a herd of cows when they all think that you're there to feed them.

That thing looking at the water is my dog Dwight. When you say that you want to see more of him, are you meaning you'd like him to be brightened up in post so that his details are more obvious, that I should have had more of him in the shot, or that you'd like to see more shots of him in the future? If it's the latter, don't worry. He will feature pretty heavily in future shares (when I can manage to his a shot of him without him moving at the last second).

I'm really stoked to hear that you both like the creek bed image also. I am looking for some of my images to print and frame, so I may just take your recommendation into account.

Good shooting. I've spent a lot of time on a farm. I like the old water troughs and the cattle shot the most. Brings back memories.

Thanks Derrel. It appears that you like the complete opposite shots to Smoke. I guess that any shot taken will appeal in different ways to people. You bring that farm history with you, so you’re drawn to those particular shots, you make an a motion all connection to them.

This is something that I can learn from, so thanks heaps.

@Boutch not every image we take will have a wow factor to everyone. I unfortunately know that well, but that doesn't mean they can't have personal significance. As I said earlier there are interesting aspects of the mailbox shot.

I'm a little disappointed that the creature is only a dog. With nothing else to go on I was convinced it was something not seen in our country.:05.18-flustered: Still as one who's owned by a furry four legged mutt, pictures of others pets are always interesting. In answer to your question "All of the above".

I grew up on a farm, continued and expanded to include farming operations in three states, that are now approaching 75 years in operation, I'm well aware of what might be found there. I guess to those not familiar, a stock tank could be interesting, but to me there needs to be more, same with the cattle. For many, many years our operations included a Black Angus cow/calf and feeder operation. So I have a fondness for them. While you thought their only interest was that you might feed them, in reality they are super curious creatures. Food might have been a pleasant surprise but they likely were more interested in the strange person looking at them. When you've been around them and worked with them you learn that they have personalities. Some bold, some shy, some overtly curious, some playful, some mean. I didn't see that in your image. While they are curious, their attention span is short, had you stayed around, they would have gone back to their routines and that's when you would have captured an interesting shot.

Last edited:
@Boutch not every image we take will have a wow factor to everyone. I unfortunately know that well, but that doesn't mean they can't have personal significance. As I said earlier there are interesting aspects of the mailbox shot.

I'm a little disappointed that the creature is only a dog. With nothing else to go on I was convinced it was something not seen in our country.:05.18-flustered: Still as one who's owned by a furry four legged mutt, pictures of others pets are always interesting. In answer to your question "All of the above".

I grew up on a farm, continued and expanded to include farming operations in three states, that are now approaching 75 years in operation, I'm well aware of what might be found there. I guess to those not familiar, a stock tank could be interesting, but to me there needs to be more, same with the cattle. For many, many years our operations included a Black Angus cow/calf and feeder operation. So I have a fondness for them. While you thought their only interest was that you might feed them, in reality they are super curious creatures. Food might have been a pleasant surprise but they likely were more interested in the strange person looking at them. When you've been around them and worked with them you learn that they have personalities. Some bold, some shy, some overtly curious, some playful, some mean. I didn't see that in your image. While they are curious, their attention span is short, had you stayed around, they would have gone back to their routines and that's when you would have captured an interesting shot.

Yeah, one thing that I really have to work on is patience. I’m better at setting up a shot and waiting it out if I’m shooting alone, but even then I could take more time.

Most reactions

Back