A tripod monopod combo?

metomeya

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I saw this one thing at ritz camera store.

It was a monopod walking stick, and at the bottom the last 5 inches fanned out into a tripod.

I was really cool, I liked it, but it didn't collapse down.

Has anyone seen this tripod monopod combo thing at will collapse down and fit in a backpack?

Is there a name for this type of pod?

I don't think there is a specific name for it. I used to have one until I left it somewhere after a hike and went away. The bottom part (three collapsible sections) had a screw-in plug which, if removed, uncovered a three fanning legs. Then, upon screwing back the plug with the three legs fanned out, it would make them stable.

this type of monopod is still monopod....i would not recommend using them as TRIPOD.....not strong enough......the stick-out legs are just for small support.......dont rely on them unelss you are ready to get your camera crashed

Is this what you saw:
http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=14&itemid=1815

I've seen them.. not really useful as a tripod.

However... if this is what you saw:

http://www.trek-tech.com/

I've been meaning to take a closer look... I have very weak ankles and I've been looking for something like that trek-pod to assist my self during hikes.

i think any monopod you can use as walking stick...is really good.......but even the one from trek-tech.......its tripod function is only goodf or light weight camera....because the centre of mass and the centre of support are at two extremes.......the stability of this system is not reliable....very easy to tip over.......little bit of physic...:lol:

Ah .. oh well... I'll still consider it if I see it in person somewhere.

So far, a nice set of walking sticks with a screw mount for a camera is on my birthday wish list. Can't tell you how painful it was on my last outing when I took a bad fall and sprained both ankles... That camera bag suddenly felt like 1000lbs of painful garbage.

Ah .. oh well... I'll still consider it if I see it in person somewhere.

So far, a nice set of walking sticks with a screw mount for a camera is on my birthday wish list. Can't tell you how painful it was on my last outing when I took a bad fall and sprained both ankles... That camera bag suddenly felt like 1000lbs of painful garbage.

you can get those monopods everywhere.....get the ones with the flip lock kinda mechanism...dont get the screw lock type....if you know what i mean :lol:

And if you are standing next to it, how exactly would it tip over? :roll:

I have the Bogen 681 I wonder if you can get the foot that has those legs it might be nice to take that on a hike or backpacking trip insread of a tripod. And I agree all the stability issues can be overcome by just staying right next to your camera of course if you have larger camera body or lens or both that theory gors out the window.

Most reactions

Back