A VERY noobish question

Nurd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm so confused. I'm not that new to photography. (and the camera I used in Photography class) But I've only really used digital cameras. I wanted a "not so digital" effect to my photos and I thought buying a Rebel XT would do the job. I've been view pictures that it takes and I liked the results.

Now I'm confused. With my digitals I just plug it into my computer and upload the pictures. Can I do the same with the Rebel XT or do I have to go threw the whole processing thing again.

Thanks for reading and I hope I get some replies soon.

Nurd said:
I'm so confused. I'm not that new to photography. (and the camera I used in Photography class) But I've only really used digital cameras. I wanted a "not so digital" effect to my photos and I thought buying a Rebel XT would do the job. I've been view pictures that it takes and I liked the results.

Now I'm confused. With my digitals I just plug it into my computer and upload the pictures. Can I do the same with the Rebel XT or do I have to go threw the whole processing thing again.

Thanks for reading and I hope I get some replies soon.
Uploading pix from the memory card in your cam to your PC is the same for a dSLR as it is for Point & Shoot cameras.

BTW, what do you mean by 'I wanted a "not so digital" effect to my photos'? What do you call a 'digital effect'?

W.Smith said:
BTW, what do you mean by 'I wanted a "not so digital" effect to my photos'? What do you call a 'digital effect'?

i know some people who refer to an image looking "digital" if it has the typical noise in uniform areas of the image (which for point and shoot digital cameras often starts at ISO 200 alrady).

Thank you for clearing that up for me. What I meant though, by a not so digital effect is that for some reason my digital camera makes things so fake looking. I don't really know how to describe it without showing you a picture. And since I'm not allowed to post other people's work then I don't know how to show you. Plus my camera is VERY noisey. When it does decide to be noisey. Even when the ISO is set to 80. Some days it just feels like being un-usable to me.

Plus I don't have that much control with my D.C. and I wanted more of that. I don't really want to go into PS that much. I used to use a regular film camera and it was much easier for me to get the look that I wanted for some reason.

I guess sometimes technology thinks it knows better than you with it's auto everything. When the natural eye is actually the best you can get.

With dSLRs you can either use the cable it came with to connect it to the computer, or get a memory card reader (i prefer the card readers myself).

dSLRs are way better than point and shoots, but i think film still beats both of them for quality.

you can get the same image from film and digital, so im not sure what "digital looking" means. you mean, sharp, crisp, quality images?

Okay I've thought about this more and I have some comparison photos to show. I want a more professional touch to them.

I have a program option on my camera but it isn't too indepth. It just ...contrast brighter..less brighter...sharpness..less sharp..more sharp. Stuff like that.

Mountains -
Someone elses work not claiming in anyway
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ammettalo_non/20061007bitterootriver_2.jpg

mine
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ammettalo_non/mount1.jpg

Cat
http://www.red-december.net/albums/kitty/pix_058.sized.jpg

mine
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ammettalo_non/cat1.jpg

I hope you guys can see the difference (those were taken with rebels). Especially in the mountains. No matter how much I change the modes, I can NEVER get detail on them. It kind of makes me mad. So I guess instead of saying fake, I should be saying professional. I want my photos to have a more professional touch. Not just a quick snap shot look.

I know photography takes skill, but it helps to have a camera that gets the look that you want.

Then what is it? I've taken some great pictures with this camera. I could take a billion mountain shots on different days and they would still all come out the same.

Maybe thats another reason for another camera. I could get some kind of lens that would help me out with that. Can't put lenses on a mine :(

wait, im confused. i hthought you had a xt/XTi. (which is digital, and produces a "digital look"). youre always going to notice a major difference from a p&s and a slr. the DSLR will allow you to fine tune the image because you have full controll over the exposture.

Yep. I was kinda getting confused myself there for a second. XP But thanks for all your comments. Your answers made me rest easy again. ^__^

Nurd said:
Okay I've thought about this more and I have some comparison photos to show. I want a more professional touch to them.

I have a program option on my camera but it isn't too indepth. It just ...contrast brighter..less brighter...sharpness..less sharp..more sharp. Stuff like that.

Mountains -
Someone elses work not claiming in anyway
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ammettalo_non/20061007bitterootriver_2.jpg

mine
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ammettalo_non/mount1.jpg

[SNIP]

I hope you guys can see the difference (those were taken with rebels). Especially in the mountains. No matter how much I change the modes, I can NEVER get detail on them. It kind of makes me mad. So I guess instead of saying fake, I should be saying professional. I want my photos to have a more professional touch. Not just a quick snap shot look.

I know photography takes skill, but it helps to have a camera that gets the look that you want.

Look at your picuture again. What can be improved? You've taken a picture whilst leaning out of a moving car (did you lean out or take it throught the window?) There's little to no thought of composition, lighting, time of day, point of view and weather conditions. There's much more to taking a good picture than having a nice camera. A good photographer will be able to take a great picure with a bad camera, a bad photographer will take bad picture with a very good camera. I'm not suggesting you're a bad photographer, just trying to make a point :)

Pic up some books on compostion and lighting that is what is killing your pictures not the camera that you are using. Take some time and think your picture out before taking it and take many different ones. I went out on saturday and took about 300 pictures and only came home editing about 10-12 of them. I am also still learning. I think that if you are having problems getting good pictures out of the camera that you have then you are going to get confused with all of the settings with a DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back