A visit to Amherst is., Ontario Canada

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, the family was in for a drive, and we took off to visit this Island, winter home of many owls. I had some good luck, and was able to find a few of them in my frame, after hours of looking!

1 Long Eared Owl
DSC_2047057w.jpg

DSC_2036046w.jpg

3 Snowy Owl
DSC_2308054w.jpg

DSC_2326050w.jpg

5 and, a nice woodpecker... Hairy I think??
DSC_2067056w.jpg

6 and 1 White Breasted Nuthatch
DSC_2076059w.jpg

thanks for looking!!! More images of the Snowy Owl on my site.. here>>>

http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/recent_photos

That Long Eared Owl in #2 is just PERFECT!
I so like this photo!!!

I still don't get over the fact that these birds don't fly away when you come!?!?

Thanks LaFoto!

many birds do fly.. and these ones would if I got too close. The trick is learning the birds range, and watching the bird to learn its signals of insecurity., and knowing how to approach a bird to seem less threatening too.

It's always a challenge.

Gaaaah! How do you consistently get such amazing photos of elusive birds??!!! These rawk! The eyes and 'expression' of the owl in #1/2 is awesome, and the compo/dof/detail of the snowy in #3 is, well, unsurpassable. Great detail in #4 too. The last two shots are really sweet as well, even though they aren't of owls (I love owls, can ya tell?)

Wow, these are so cool! I really love the snowy owl pictures.

^ i agree with daan.

i'm loving #2 & #3, but they are all fantastic. :thumbup:

These are totally awesome. You have done a great job. Thanks for sharing.

You got me so impressed and interested, I am looking into prices and such for me to go to Amherst Island for night or two. I would definitlely be looking on the budget end of accommodations. Any tips?

Thanks everyone!

You got me so impressed and interested, I am looking into prices and such for me to go to Amherst Island for night or two. I would definitlely be looking on the budget end of accommodations. Any tips?

Well, I will tell you I have been skunked before on this Island.. no guarantees.

The nearest and nicest hotel is in Napanee.. right off the highway, you can see it from the 401.. pool, smallish breakfast included, free internet in your room, if you have a laptop., its a Hampton Inn., nice rooms, clean., but the hallways were a bit noisey on the weekend, lots of children.

the ferry leaves the mainland every 1/2 hour.. and the Island every half hour.. We entered the is. at 7:30 am, and followed some birders around.. they were very cool.. we left the is., at 400 pm... 6 bucks round trip... its not easy to find the owls... and if you need help there, you best call me! send me a pm, and I will send you my cell #

btw, we are leaving early Friday am for florida., for the weekend.

take care!

Thanks Ray,

So you don't stay right on the island? Fair enough. I wouldn't be heading there anytime soon, just wanted info so I could keep in mind in the future. Have fun in Florida. I have to wait another week then I am off to Tobago...

Thanks Ray,

So you don't stay right on the island? Fair enough. I wouldn't be heading there anytime soon, just wanted info so I could keep in mind in the future. Have fun in Florida. I have to wait another week then I am off to Tobago...

no problem bud.. the Hotel is about 15 minutes from the ferry, and the ferry ride is about 20 minutes... A few people are asking me the wheres and how 2s.. I should post a report on my website!!

take care!

I will look fwd to your pics!! My brother will be in Tobago soon, he is in New Zealand right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back