A Walk In the Park

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours at a small country park this afternoon... tried my first common bird shots, I guess they could have been worse for a first attempt... I think? Any tips for shooting birds as its something I know nothing about, and hope to make a trip to a bird watching place soon... dont want to waste the opportunity... my biggest lens is 100-400 so tips for capturing would be great. :scratch: Scratches head in AIRIC and Raymond JB's direction... I know you guys shoot a lot of wild stuff but the birdlife in my area is limited.... still.... some general tips I'm sure would help? :hail:

I know the images sizes aren't great, Photobucket decided to do some of its random resizing exercises, regardless of my image/file size, so I had to give up.

The park is located fairly near the sea so I spent a bit of time shooting some birds along the coast too... sorry for so many, just a general feedback wanted really and maybe your faves if any, thanks folks. :blushing:

1. (Okay I know Ben isn't a bird... but at least he stays put for a photo grrrrrrrr :x)
bencopy.jpg

bird1copy.jpg

bird2copy.jpg

bird3copy.jpg

bird6copy.jpg

bird7copy.jpg

bird8copy.jpg

birds1copy.jpg

robin1copy.jpg

robin2copy.jpg

robin3copy.jpg

Thanks for looking!

What kind of bird is that first one? :lmao:
I think you captured a fine series, a little more sunlight would have helped too, but we all are having that problem. :D

Bill

I didn't say they'd ALL be birds :lmao:

Yeh tell me about it, possibly the dullest day of the whole week being of course my only opportunity to get out and do some shooting, garrrrrrrrrrr I hate university!

Thanks for the comments!

I really like 4-8, esp. 4 :) Number 7's neat too, how it's basically all b/w except for the red beak.

1,9 & 11 float my boat! As for dull days, in England, at least up North, it's been dull for what seems forever. can't remember the last time I saw the sun. As regards wildlife, I have considered the following approaches:

1) buy a hide and longer lens (600mm). Impractical as I don't have the time or the cash.

2) kill the animal, stuff it and then pose as required. More satisfying I think.

I've been getting the runaround by the squirrels in a churchyard for a while now and I'm seriously leaning towards the taxidermy route. last week I had just got in the churchyard, with no camera out of bag yet, when this mangy squirrel sits drinking from a flower pot on a grave not 10 feet from me giving it " go on, reach for the camera, it'll do you no good!":grumpy:

Cheers, Lol

Hehe, coincidentally I was looking at 600mm lenses online earlier... much too expensive right now, I want to buy a macro and a wide angle before I consider more zoom.

Even if I wanted to stuff the little beggars I wouldn't be able to catch them!

Yeh I attempted a squirrel earlier too, everytime I moved further around the tree to where it was, it moved further around so I couldn't see it, man it was annoying, but then I was giggling at the same time, animals are genuinely sweet and funny!

Great shots. All I can say is keep the shutter speed up and try to avoid shake. You did good on these. All I use is a 80-400 so your are fine with the lens.

Eric

So there is someone here saying she's got no idea of bird photography, and who says it was about the dullest day of the week, and then she dares post the most endearing Robin-pics ever? :grumpy:
I don't like them!
Bah!
I feel too much envy.
I want to be able to get such photos, too *stomping foot*
*stomping more* *stomping out of the room* *slamming door*

:lol: (just joking) :lol: :lol:

Gosh... seriously guys that means a lot, like A LOT!!!! :hugs::hug:::hugs::hug:::blushing::blushing:

#1 is beautiful - from one black lab owner to another......
9 & 11 are awsome. I love the color in 9...

I like number 2 and number 3 a lot. Number 9 looks too much like another photo I've seen from National Geographic (I think), but it's still a great photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back