A Walk Through My Garden

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sojourn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. sojourn

sojourn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I didn't go anywhere today but in my garden, which is just waking up from a cold, cold winter. Happy Spring to all!!

1. My first crystal tulip to bloom. Look at those frosty edges:

[​IMG]

2. The first bloom on my dianthus 'Firewitch' patch stands amidst the waiting buds leaning over the gravel path:

[​IMG]

3. I love miniature dwarf bearded iris, they do well in my rockeries. This lemon-pie colored one is one of my favorites. It is around 6" tall.

[​IMG]

4. And what garden set would be complete without a bee closeup on Euphorbia characias' green on green flowers:

[​IMG]

2. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice bee shot.
    I would just like to put out there that it might benefit from some desaturation of the yellows. Then again, it could be spot on and best as is :lol:

For the first shot, I see you have some shadows in the background. I find that if you are shooting a flower that is being painted by sunlight, you can make the shot even more dramatic if you position yourself to place a dark/shadow area behind it. If pulls the flower away from any bright backgrounds that may compete for tones.

3. sojourn

sojourn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dominantly, many thanks for your input! I see what you mean about the yellow saturation. While I didn't bump the saturation at all on that image, it might have been good to desaturate it just a bit. That plant has very strongly chartreuse-colored bracts and with the tiny yellow flowers inside it does scream YELLOW! a bit.

You know, I could have moved just a bit and had that whole tulip flower in a darker, shady bokeh...I am learning though! I take more time to consider the background than I ever did before. I can't wait for the other colors of this fascinating type of tulip to bloom. This variety is new to me.

Here's a red tulip I tried to get with a bit of backlight to capture the translucent quality of the satiny petals. It came out fairly well, I think:

[​IMG]

4. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. sojourn

sojourn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice! you've explained yourself perfectly with that picture!

Yes, I already do take a lot of time to walk around and stare at flowers, and I do a lot of sitting on the ground, sometimes laying down and squatting down low...it's good for the leg muscles <groan> And just about the time I get the perfect balance and focus, my viewfinder will fill with cat fur, the wind will blow the subject around or a dog nose will bump my arm!

6. mommy22

mommy22 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love the bee shot!!! The others are nice as well. I also like the way you did the red tulip. I am a garden/flower junkie as well...

Quick random question: How do you like your Sigma 18-200? I am thinking of selling my kit 18-55 and my 70-300 to get a 18-200...

7. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    The bee shot is nice but too centered.

8. sojourn

sojourn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    mommy22, I am very pleased with my lens. As I don't have much experience with other lenses I am not able to make an informed comparison against any other glass---but it certainly does the job for me.

9. thissilentstar

thissilentstar TPF Noob!

Wow!

10. sojourn

sojourn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Arrggh, I am going to have to rewire my brain for this 'rule of thirds', while I think that that ROT is pleasing, I like centered things, too.

OK, here is the bee, desaturated, yellow removed a tad, cropped up some because the bee is in good focus and a bit of cloning:

[​IMG]

11. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Nice edit sojourn. I like how detailed everything is on that little guy, wings and all.

I think #1's very beautiful too. Nice garden you have there.