A Walk through Times Square

Very Nice, experiential.

Looking at the big bright Billboards & A Sea of Faces are gallery pieces. :thumbup:

-Shea

I really like number 4 there is a feeling of confused emoition in it I almost see a dysfunctional family.

quite the opposite here.

looks like hell on earth.

all those people i prefer the quiet life and countryside.

Yes, looking at these pictures makes me very grateful that I live a full five blocks from Times Square, where life is much quieter and nothing like what you see here. Our sidewalks are much less interesting, apart from the pimps, hookers and dead bodies being wheeled around in office chairs.

Best,
Helen

Kick A$$ work man!

I like your style!

Yes, looking at these pictures makes me very grateful that I live a full five blocks from Times Square, where life is much quieter and nothing like what you see here. Our sidewalks are much less interesting, apart from the pimps, hookers and dead bodies being wheeled around in office chairs.

Best,
Helen
LOL, yeah, I read that story too.

Do I remember that you live in Hell's Kitchen? I lived on 48th and 9th for several years in the 1980s, when it was still "caps and vials" on the sidewalks. Then I moved to glamorous Brooklyn Heights (well, Cobble Hill/Court Street) after that.

Now I have a place on the Upper West Side, where I fit right in with my three kids and the stroller. Who knew we could recreate suburbia so perfectly - without the use of fences. Plenty of SUVs though...:confused:

I really like number 4 there is a feeling of confused emoition in it I almost see a dysfunctional family.
Thank you. Yes, that one has become one of my favorites. It is hard not to wonder what the dynamics are within that family...

wow great series - I live in brooklyn and I'm definitely going to try your suggestions for a "jostle walk", sounds like great advice!

my favorite is the hip-hop one, the kids "family" hat is great as well as the other teen's hair. the rework on that photo was amazing.

Do I remember that you live in Hell's Kitchen? I lived on 48th and 9th for several years in the 1980s, when it was still "caps and vials" on the sidewalks. ...:confused:

Yes, I live in Hell's Kitchen. 48th and 9th. I moved here from the Chelsea Hotel a few years ago. People who have been here since the 60's and 70's have told me a lot about how much the area has changed. How much of your time do you spend in New York?

I'm still undecided about whether or not to get the M8. As you point out, there is an inconsequentiality about Leica Ms that monstrosities such as the D3 may never have.

Best,
Helen

You know, I really like the M8 - I like Rangefinders, and I like working digitally. But at that price you have to really be into it. I have also found it uncomfortable to switch back and forth between RF and SLR, and subsequently use my big camera far less frequently. But there is certain subjects (like my fast-moving kids) that I prefer to shoot using auto-focus. There's something much more deliberate about working with a Rangefinder though, and it really appeals to me.

Leica Ms have been the cameras I've used the most since I got my first in the mid 70's, and I have no problem switching between an SLR and a rangefinder. Oddly enough I think of an SLR as being right for the more deliberate work and a rangefinder as being right for the more immersed, responsive work - it's something to do with the way one sees through the viewfinders. I'm just not convinced that the M8 has enough advantages for me over the M6s and M7s I already have.

Best,
Helen

I'm not an evangelist for any style of work, camera, or medium. That said, In your case it's simply a question of work-flow, because you already have lenses - thus reducing the cost factor. If you like working with digital files then the M8 is a great combination of your RF experience together with a workflow you like.

Regardless of digital or film, a Rangefinder is so much smaller and easier when shooting people, at least for me... and that's how I spend my free time these days. And I love the fact that I can get the camera and several lenses into one tiny bag when I travel. :)

In the case of traveling, digital is an advantage for me as well. It's just a lot of memory chips, not rolls and rolls of sensitive film... and I can fire away without worrying about running out of stock. I'm going to Cambodia for two weeks, and am glad it's digital for a trip like that.

I love "A Sea of Faces".

Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back