A wedding from Feb - (Careful..21 photos!!!)

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Groom is related to me. After seeing some of my work, the groom wanted to see how I observed his wedding. Since they hired a pro photog, I had the absolute freedom with no pressure! :)

Here are some from the pack. I haven't shown this to anyone else, yet. Love to hear your constructive comments (from the tech and emotional POVs) .
::10D, 99% with the 24mm f1.4, handful of frames with the 50mm f1.4

Thanks for looking!

CRW_1565tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1587tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1635tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1644tiff-vi.jpg

CRW_1656tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1676tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1679tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1684tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1687tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1688tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1695tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1698tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1709tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1776tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1793tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1837tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1839tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1839tiff_filtered-vi.jp

CRW_1871tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_2021_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1810tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1808tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

Photo 4: Those feet dangling from somewhere...:shock: What are those??????:shock:

You have captured a lot of atmosphere, getting much of the surroundings into your frame, which is while looking through these I even more appreciated those photos that show some more detail, the persons, as in 9, 10 and 11, for example. So you haven't made use of a long focus often, catching portraits or double-portraits?

I have to say I love these! :hail: Your black and white are amazing and you've captured the day so well. I tend to focus on close shots of the people and I love that you stepped back (or used a wider lens in your case) and captured their surroundings. It's a good reminder for me to take out my 20mm more often. Your wedding photography has taken a wonderful journey and the results from this wedding are your best yet in my opinion. I think you've found a wonderful photographic calling here and I think you'll be very successful in the future! Thank you for sharing your work, it truly is an inspiration to me.

Hmmm, #17 is not showing up for me.

For me, the best of the group are #s 20-21, they look fantastic with that wide angle, almost surreal. :thumbup: #9 shows great use of DOF, very nice, as well. Your close-in candids capture emotion nicely, #12 is a lovely shot.

My main problem is some of the ineffective use of WA on shots that I think would be better with a tight crop. #s 7, 13 and 15. But, that's personal perference, I'd just like to be able to see more up-close action. ;)

Love the B&W! :)

Corinna, ever been to a church lately?? Whose feet do you think those are?:lol:
I should have used the 50mm a lil more for more close-up portrait shots like you said. But what did you mean by 'double portraits'?

Alison, your words means a lot to this beginner. It is an honour to hear that you were inspired by this.
Technically this was my first "full-fledged" wedding. The couple of other weddings that I have in my site was "Guest Photography" :). This was a great opportunity to get the feel of the whole thing without the pressure. Wide Angle or stepping back gives more "words" to the story. You can have a great time with the 20mm.:)

Terri, I have noted your observations on the WA shots. 15 does look a lil off. 13, actually is one of my fav from this series. I agree with you on the need for more close-up actions. Need to whip out the 50mm (with the 1.6x crop factor) more often or maybe it is time to get a second digital body. #17 should be there now :).

Thanks for the kind words, ladies! :)

Daniel, I did think it was "HIM", but the way you frame HIS feet here is - erm... weeeellll.... ;)
And yes, I have been to church only last Saturday night from 11 to midnight to go into Easter, but since I'm not Catholic, we don't have crucifixes in our churches, only the cross.

I see that your WA (which I take is "wide angle"?) photos complement the official photographer's photos, so in that case yours will certainly be a good addition to what other photos the newlyweds will get.

Double portraits are two people (their faces) in one photo. I personally also like triple portraits of small groups in conversation - or the one that you have put up here... hang on, will just check its number... erm... 9. I have said before that I like 9, haven't I?

My goodness! I can't even tell you anything about these pictures becuase I truly don't feel that I could help you make these pictures any better. I read somewhere that you should always photograph what you love because it shows through in the photos...this, my friend, is what you love. I find it hard to comment on any specific picture because I like them all so much, but I do have to say that picture number 20 makes me feel like I am at the wedding with you and I know everyone in the circle. The DOF on that one, as well as all of them, is textbook. It just doesn't get much better than that. GREAT SERIES, Dan, keep it up.

Totally off the photog subject but how do you get the hair jewelry to stay in place? I have always loved those gems that go down the part of the hair.

Corinna, I'm not a Catholic either. The statue was suspended/hooked on to something. I do not really remember. It was the glass and the groom behind the glass (even though that is not obvious to the viewer) that caught my attention. The feet actually, was an accident. :).

Aubrey, could anyone be more kinder?? :) You might be right; I do enjoy the experience. Its sort of a meditative experience for me, where each and every minute is cherished, unlike a 9-5 stuff.

LizM, I have to get back to you on your jewelry doubt! :)

few more...

CRW_1672tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1673tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1690tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1704tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1706tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_1732tiff_filtered-vi.jpg

CRW_2033_filtered-vi.jpg

That is beautiful work. I hope you didnt put the hired photographer to shame :)

I doubt many people who get wedding photos, have many better than #24.
:thumbup:

Thank you sir, for the kind words.

The couple love the shots, and they asked me to print few 8x10s to include in their album! :) Plus they asked me to print some of their friend's' pics too.

I'm sure the main guy must have done an fine job. He was so confident and it was a treat to watch him work!

Most reactions

Back