I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In keeping with my recent trend of photographing the wife's vintage sewing machine collection, Here is her most recent acquisition. A White model 764. First introduced at the Worlds Fair in 1964, this machine became known as a "My Fair Lady" and is a very coveted machine among vintage collectors. This one is in very good condition, and has an excellent stitch.

White 764 by pixmedic, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice lighting

Nice lighting

thanks!
i tried to give all of these shots basically the same look.
some of the finishes made it tough to match them exactly, but I think i captured the spirit of the idea, if not the technical aspects.

If you don't mind my asking, what does your lighting setup look like? All of these that you've posted look amazing!

If you don't mind my asking, what does your lighting setup look like? All of these that you've posted look amazing!

my lighting setup has been a closely guarded family secret for generations!
until today....

basically a variation of clamshell lighting. one light on either side angled so it doesn't light the backdrop with juuuuuuust enough power to light the machine.
I keep the lights kinda aimed at the sides of the machine.
machine approx 2 feet in front of black muslin backdrop.
The idea is to light the machine without lighting the backdrop.
These have all had zero noise reduction.

I bring the black channel down in LR to finish off blacking out the backdrop, then adjust contrast, shadows, whites, and highlights a bit to get exposure where i want it without messing up the black background.

I dont know if thats the "best" way to do it...but thats how i have shot all of the sewing machines so far. seems to work ok.

I'd say it works amazing well! I like the clean-ness and moodiness, if that's the right description. Great stuff!

Yep what the former poster said :) I also think these would look great in black and white too.

Most reactions

Back