AA Batteries Question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Insp Gadget, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking for some advice on AA Batteries. Currently we shoot mainly weddings. We have an SB-800 & an SB-900 and are using Duracell 15 minute AA batteries and chargers. They work great for that one day but over time they do not hold a charge for more than 24 hours and we only bought them a few months ago.

What are you guys using? Any suggestions? Recommendations??

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sanyo Enloop batteries and a very good charging unit.

A cheap recharger will kill rechargable batteries very quickly when they are used for flash, since (As you are finding) you will be recharging them and reusing them very quickly. Cheap rechargers and quick recharge times tend to go hand in hand and are good for quick use, but are not going to last the test of time when used intensivly.

The enloop batteries are a newer kind whcih have a much improved abiltiy to store their charge when put in storage - they will keep something like 80% charge even after a year (regular rechargables will have given out long before that if stored in a flash and not used).

A good recharger is also key because that helps ensure the long life of your batteries

3. Insp Gadget

Insp Gadget TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

And what is a good recharger? Do they make some that can charge more than 4 batteries at a time? We have about 50 batteries between us for all our electronics.

4. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Thomas Distributing

This is perhaps *the* place to shop for batteries and battery chargers. Many people consider the better Maha brand chargers to be the Canon L-glass equivalent in the battery charger field....or is that Nikon ED-glass???

6. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the Maha because you can quick charge 8 cells at a time...individually. Most units charge "in bulk", meaning all cells at a time, and will cut off all cells at one time when it thinks they are done....possibly leaving a cell or two short of charge. And, during down time, you can condition your cells for longer life.

More info...scroll down:

MAHA / POWEREX MH-C801D Eight Cell 1-Hr Charger

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Quick chargers are somewhat dirty. There's a reason that they aren't the only products in existence and that is for many types of batteries they reduce the life of the battery. I would recommend getting a good expensive battery charger, I have even seen one with selectable charging speed so if the proverbials hit the fan you can always quick charge them anyway. Stay clear from cheap quickchargers if possible.

8. rocdoc

rocdoc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I switched to NiMH rechargeable batteries for my SB600 and the difference is enormous! Not only the charge hold, which seems double what the check-out line Energizers did, but the recycle time also shortened remarkably. I don't recall the brand, but they may be Impact, with a regular charger. I just browsed the B&H page and bought whatever had good reviews and was reasonable in price.

9. bhphotography

bhphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also shoot weddings and have the Sanyo Enloop and the Duracell 2600mha rechargables. I use the Sanyo batteries in the flash, and only use the duracells when I'm shooting sports as I charge them the night before and then put them in the grip to get the 8fps.

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    THIS ONE has a 'break-in' mode that should be able to give new life to those rechargeable that won't hold their charge anymore. It's fairly expensive for a 4 cell charger, but if it can save you from having to throw out (recycle) all those batteries, it will offset the cost.

11. Skaperen

Skaperen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    quick charge = quick death

If you don't need to charge a battery fast, then charge it slow. You'll get more life (more charge and usage cycles) out of it that way.

12. Pgeobc

Pgeobc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try a Quantum Battery Pack, that's what I did some number of years ago and have never looked back.