AA batteries vs. camera batteries

camino10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My photography is dedicated to travel photography, quite often in quite remote areas. I've always happily been using a Canon compact camera using AA Alkaline batteries (whenever possible of course the rechargable ones). It had to be compact as I'm often trekking and camping and every gram weighs "heavily" on my back and my camera used ordinary batteries so that I could replace them easily in any village shop wherever I might was, again without depending on electricity and the weight of a charger, adapter etc.

Now I'd like to upgrade my equipment and I'm not quite sure which power system suits me best. How do you handle the situation? Do you carry several spare batteries? How many for say a weeklong trip in the middle of nowhere?

Thankful for any hints that help me decide...

Last edited:
I carry 3 camera batteries and use a battery grip which has an adapter for AA batteries just in case. For reference, I have a Nikon D90.

With my SLR I have a power Grip for it that can take AA Batteries.
I usually cary 2 standard camera batteries with me and about 16 AA.
This would allow me to shoot easily for a week depending on work load. Around 9000 photos, give or take a few thousand

I think almost universally the Lithium batteries which come with your camera should last longer during shooting, AND have a longer shelf life than any rechargeable AAs. Alkaline batteries would edge out the shelf life performance, and even Lithium AAs are available.

However Camera batteries are NOT available at the petrol station. I never carry AAs with me. 2 camera batteries can get me through several days shooting, or one really serious day shooting. However I always carry the 6AA adapter for my camera grip. If (and it hasn't happened yet) my camera batteries do die and I have no possibility of charging them I am happier knowing that the first store I see on the road would put me back in action rather than having my day ruined.

Most reactions

Back