AA batteries

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at getting some AA rechargeables for my flashes. I have a load of NiMh batteries of about 1600 mah that are getting a bit elderly (5 years old). I'm thinking of getting low discharge batteries. I'm not keen on the price though - the ordinary ones seem cheaper and of higher capacity.

I charged some of my exisiting batteries some days ago and one pair almost immediately didn't work, despite having been given the all-clear by a reconditioning charger.

Given the age of my batteries, I feel new is in order. My question is thus:
What's the cheapest price and place you've found for AA low discharge or AA high capacity and where was that place? I know my local BiLo sells low discharge AAs.

I've ordered batteries and a charger from HERE. They seem to be pretty good.

As for you old NiMh batteries...A photographer that I know, was in the same position as you, with a lot of old batteries that just wouldn't hold a charge, even after 'reconditioning'.
He found a charger that can bring these worn out batteries back to life. He liked it so much, he bought a couple of them. C-9000

Hmm....

$3.47 for 4 AA 2000mah by Lenmar (Chinese)
$7.97 for 4 AA 2100mah low discharge by Kodak.

Hmm.... I'll have to check how much BiLo is charging but that $7.97 looks very tasty indeed. I'll probably need to get maybe 10 packs.

I already have a Maha reconditioning charger. I don't have any non-reconditioning chargers. Some batteries have just been used a lot, I guess.

I already have a Maha reconditioning charger. I don't have any non-reconditioning chargers. Some batteries have just been used a lot, I guess.
That's what I said to him...but he said that this charger was able to bring new life to these batteries when his other 'reconditioning' chargers would not.

I think that standard reconditioning chargers just cycle the change...they drain and recharge the batteries several times. This one will slowly 'force' the charge into them. I don't know all the details...but I believe my friend Lloyd when he says it really works.

Hmm $12.95 for 4x 2000Nimh Duracell pre-charged with 365 days battery life.

Very interesting as that's in my local BiLo. If I only buy 2 packs then I'm fine. If I need more then even with postage Thomas Dist is better. For 2 or less packs, BiLo is better.

Sanyo Eneloop, have worked great for me. I bought a couple of kits with chargers when costco had them on sale, and I will not buy another type of rechargeable. The problem now is finding them in stock anywhere. Circuit City had a sale on them a couple of days ago, but they were out of stock by the time I found out.

Another vote for the Sanyo Eneloops, I have 2 sets of them, and they are WAY WAY WAY better than the Energizer rechargeables I have. You might also look into the Ray O Vac "hybrids" they are similar to the Eneloops, I have a set of these too, and they are very good !!

The advantage of these is that they HOLD their charge when you are not using them. So if you have 2 sets, the one not being used will not lose its charge sitting in your bag, like MOST rechargeables will.

Just ordered the Sanyo Eneloops based on good reviews from Amazon. They were $12.99 for 2 batteries and a charger. Then an additional 4 batteries were $9.65.

I don't know why those re conditioner chargers are needed for NiMh's anyway, since they don't hold a memory the way nicads do. Supposedly there is no need to completely discharge the NiMh's, and that doing so could actually shorten it's life since it's all the discharging and recharging that shorten it.

No, I did not attend MIT.

I don't know why those re conditioner chargers are needed for NiMh's anyway, since they don't hold a memory the way nicads do. Supposedly there is no need to completely discharge the NiMh's, and that doing so could actually shorten it's life since it's all the discharging and recharging that shorten it.

No, I did not attend MIT.

You would be surprised at the shape that NiMh batteries can get into. Many chargers now have a test mode, so you can test their actual capacity. Apparently, it's fairly common for them to be well below their rated capacity...even when they are fairly new. For example, I had a few 2500 mAh that would only hold about 1900 mAh. I put them through the refresh mode on my charger and they are much better now. Eventually, they do start to wear out and won't respond to charging...or even a refresh mode. That is where the C-9000 can (appearantly) bring them back to life.

I know that they really aren't supposed to have a memory...but I always try to fully discharge them before charging them up. That is supposed to keep their capacity high for a longer time. I also try to use a lower level (longer time) charge. With he charger that I use, I can set it to discharge them at 200 mAh and then charge at 100 mAh. It does take a long time to charge them though. If I need to, I can also set it as high as 1500 mAh (I think).

I just picked up a bunch of Sanyo Eneloops the other day from Costco. A starter kit with a charger and some batteries, and then another kit with just batteries, almost all AA's for flashes. Tried them out the other night and WOW what a difference from alkalines!

By the time an NiMh battery gets to about 4 years old it should be pitched and replaced. I have some that are about 7 years old and am slowly putting them into the solar lights as the batteries there wear out. Currently one pair out there is getting a bit bad and they're NiMh so that's where the next pair of elderly NiMh batteries is going.

Given the relatively low cost of AA NiMh I'm surprised to find myself bargain hunting for them. It's like petrol/gasoline - it's just an expense. In reality, even at the current prices it's not really that expensive.

No need in talking about years here. The life time of NiMh depends on how it's charged.

I have a set of NiMhs here which didn't last a month because dad's cheap charger didn't auto switch-off and over charge them. They may not hold memory like NiCads, but they are more volatile to how they are charged. Fast chargers aren't such a good idea for one.

Basically if your NiMh are fully charged and the flash dies before 50 flashes bin them. A fresh set should get you over the 100 mark easy.

Also note that NiMh have a very high discharge rate which makes them kind of pointless for things like remotes and calculators where other batteries may last much longer. So if you only use your flash once a month either charge them the night before only, or recharge them before you go out.

I bought 3 sets of DUracell 2000mah rechargeables that claim to hold a charge for 365 days. Time will tell whether that was a bargain or not. There were some 2450 mah Energiser rechargables but they came in a blister pack of 12 AAs and 4 AAAs. I have no use for the 4 AAAs so I didn't go for that "bargain". I guess they have to find some way to dump a production overrun of AAAs - lol.

Also note that NiMh have a very high discharge rate which makes them kind of pointless for things like remotes and calculators where other batteries may last much longer
That's where the new Eneloop (and similar) batteries come in. They are NiMh but they hold their charge much better.

Also, we should all remember that batteries shouldn't be disposed of like regular garbage. They should be recycled, which may mean finding a place that will take them.

Most reactions

Back