AAAHHH What is this??

amberl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I tried shooting in raw today which meant i had to set my own ISO. I was playing around with the cutest little subject EVER ;) and some of my pictures got these weird light spots. See below. What are they, how to get rid of them?

Any suggestions on a good book to read for beginners to understand this stuff better?
IMG_5684.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

Those are lens flares. Some lenses are more notorious for flares. It is light from outside of the frame. If you have a filter on, alot of times you can get rid of them by taking the filters off, get a lens hood as they will block some of the light from the edges. The pattern you see is the aperture you set (F11 in this case) They are the blades inside that close and open to allow more or less light to enter (take a peek down your lens) and press the dof preview if you have it. On this lens you have 6 blades.

Thank you... I didn't have a filter on. These have NEVER been in any of my pictures before, but today is the first time i took my camera off the automatic setting (bad, I know). Is there something I can do differently to avoid them in the future?

Try not to shoot towards the sun, Keep the sun behind you so you light your subject. Try different angles, and the lens hood is the most impoortant.

are some lens hoods better than others, i need to purchase one and dont want to get the wrong one. ;) I dont like wasting money!

are some lens hoods better than others, i need to purchase one and dont want to get the wrong one. ;) I dont like wasting money!

Not sure what lens you have, but usually there is a lens hood made for your lens. I am guessing you have the 18-55 kit lens. EW-60C is the lens hood if so. Any aftermarket with the same specs will work the same.

yes I have the kit lens and that is what i used today, I also have the EF 75-300.

Thanks for your help! Off to shop for lens hoods!

When you get a diaphragm-shaped spot on the picture, that is called "ghosting". Ghosting is related to lens flare, but is actually a different problem. We can see by the shape of the ghosts that your lens has a six-bladed iris diaphragm.

Just to clear something up, RAW has nothing to do with setting your ISO. It depends on the camera mode.

I guess technically it is aperture ghosting, but still a flare effect. Either way a lens hood should help the issue.

Yeah I was going to mention the ISO thing too. You were at 800! Looks plenty bright for 100-200.

I like the second one because she is looking right at it. You can tell people a spirit orb passed by as your girl watched it. You can use that story for years to come.

hahaha sad thing is, the some of the dumb people I know would actually believe that!

Thanks for the help everyone! I need to find a good book to read on how to correctly use my camera. Somethings i figured out on my own, and some things, i have absolutely no clue about!

I like the second one because she is looking right at it. You can tell people a spirit orb passed by as your girl watched it. You can use that story for years to come.

Ohh god not you with the spririt orb too... lol

a simple DIY solution is to shade the lens with your hand

Most reactions

New Topics

Back