aaarrggghhh-weddign vent

So are you saying to just walk away from this? She was to pay $1000 for cd, and $500 for my time. She gave me $1250 at wedding and was to pay the other $250 when she recieved the cd with the images. She has alrady viewed them online and ordered from smugmug. Should I simply refund her $500 and tell her I am washing my hands of this. I am done? I am not too worried about her ruining my rep or anything as 1-they are very LOW income and couldn't afford even my sitting fee and 2-they live 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere...

BTW - if she slams your reputation (and she will) you just need to be honest with your explanation (if you give one). Say that you refuse to compromise the overall end product of your work for the bride. You are the professional, not her.

There are a lot of posts here with great wedding advice. (I'll pm you some links)

Hi Boomer,
I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience! Mom truly sounds like a terror.

Here are some of the problems you might be having communication wise, though.....

1. First of all, you need a contract that states that it is up to your artistic opinions which images are received. Mine goes on and on to basically say, "Im taking a ton, but you will see only the best-and you have to trust me as to what best means".

2. Secondly, try to stay away from the numbers game. If you can't, give them a really wide range-500-1000. That way you have some leeway.

3. Don't count a bw conversion or a crop (most times) as a seperate photo. The crop can fly in formals as a separate photo, but that's about it.

4. When people gripe about how they look in a photo, "Im not smiling in any of them", remind them that you are there to document the day. You only shoot what happens. (Or as I sometimes say, "I'm a technician, not a magician") If she is griping about not smiling in formals, then yes, some of that might be your fault, but only some of it. The other half is her responsibility.

5. But the main thing is this: Who signed the contract? That is the only person who matters. For all you know the kids are over the moon in love with the photos. If Mom didn't sign, I'd politely let her know that you are under contractual obligation to the bride and groom.

Is there any way we could view the gallery? I'm just curious as to how you are counting photos.

But other that that, the lady sounds like a loon. You get those from time to time. :)

Didn't you go through something like this a while ago, elsapet?

Didn't you go through something like this a while ago, elsapet?

And LOL David....so true.

Yeah, I had a mom who went on and on that the church walls weren't the exact color she remembered.

I've had a couple of nutty mom's come to think of it, but now days, I don't let them praddle on too much. Even if they write the check, I have bride and groom sign the contract.

But even then the nuts get through. That's when I add to my contract. :lmao: I've got a "Nut clause" for just about every contingency.

And LOL David....so true.

Yeah, I had a mom who went on and on that the church walls weren't the exact color she remembered.

I've had a couple of nutty mom's come to think of it, but now days, I don't let them praddle on too much. Even if they write the check, I have bride and groom sign the contract.

But even then the nuts get through. That's when I add to my contract. :lmao: I've got a "Nut clause" for just about every contingency.

A Nut Clause, that is classic! I'm going to have to remember that one!

I know exactly what you are going through when it comes to brides.. I just remind myself.. weddings are good means to pay bills..

I always... always make them sign contracts.. even my closest friends.

Brings new meaning to the word Bridezilla... lol

Love the nut clause, I could see it coming in handy quite often!

I recieved several pms suggesting I remove the post due to risking client seeing it. At first I thought...Good She will know I am not wrong. But I have decided it should be taken down. thanks for the advice. I will be mailing her the cd COD (cash on delivery) signature confirmation and cash only. I will not do anythig else with her. She is asking about prints and wanting toorder from a lab at cost since she has the cd. I emailed back with teh simple phrase (WALMART) in bold letters. That is all I have to say to her. Just glad it is done!

Well I hope everything turns out for you. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Most reactions

Back