Abandoned Building

emptypockets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out and about with the camera recently and found an abandoned former electrical building. I snapped a few quick shots off. These aren't as technical as some I've seen on this site, but be nice as I'm still a noob!Comments and thoughts welcomed!

brokenwindows.jpg

lightfixture.jpg

ledge2.jpg

machinery.jpg

windows.jpg

windows1.jpg

I quite like the last one with the powerlines, especially since you said it was an electrical building. The rest are nice, although they're a bit tight for my liking- I get hints of what the building is like, but I'd like a wider perspective.

I LOVE THE LAST - IT SEEMS TO HOLD A STORY RIGHT THERE IN THE PICTURE

IT JUST CAPTURES..... SOMETHING

MAYBE LIKE A DEAD OLD BUILDING LOOKING OUT ONTO A VIBRANT LIVING WORLD?! - LIKE A DYING OLD MAN ROCKING ON THE PORCH OF HIS HOME (LIKE I SAID ... IT JUST TALKS TO ME)

I LIKE A LOT

I LOVE THE LAST - IT SEEMS TO HOLD A STORY RIGHT THERE IN THE PICTURE, THE BLURRED FOREGROUND AND FRAME AND THE SHARP OUTSIDE VIEW WORK WELL

IT JUST CAPTURES..... SOMETHING

MAYBE LIKE A DEAD OLD BUILDING LOOKING OUT ONTO A VIBRANT LIVING WORLD?! - LIKE A DYING OLD MAN ROCKING ON THE PORCH OF HIS HOME (LIKE I SAID ... IT HOLDS A STORY THAT JUST TALKS TO ME)

I LIKE A LOT

PS. IM NOT SOME WIERDO!! :confused:

PS. DID YOU EDIT IN THE BLURRED EFFECT ON THE FOREGROUND OR ADD THE BACKGROUND ? - AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO EXACTLY - AND IF NOT HOW DO I GET THAT EFFECT
?

THANKS

Numbers 4 and 6 are absolutely spot on imho. The detail in 4 is awsome, and the subject matter is interesting. The only thing I might say is that a tad more DOF is needed?

6 is absolutely wonderfull. perfect atmosphere to it, and the way the cables lead the eye into the distance is spot on. Lovely stuff!

PS. DID YOU EDIT IN THE BLURRED EFFECT ON THE FOREGROUND OR ADD THE BACKGROUND ? - AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU DO EXACTLY - AND IF NOT HOW DO I GET THAT EFFECT
?

THANKS

#6 took the most editing of any in this series. With the light streaming in from the windows, the detail in the room was just about black in the raw version. I lightened the foreground alot and then adjusted the shadows and highlights. From there, I added a layer and used the PS selection tool and highlighted the entire window area, then cut it out. Finally, I used the gausian blur on the foreground to 6.0, then flattened the image and there you go. That way, the windows and outside detail is sharp and the forground is blurred. I wasn't entirely happy with the outcome, but am very happy you like it!

[Woodsy];1184916 said:
Numbers 4 and 6 are absolutely spot on imho. The detail in 4 is awsome, and the subject matter is interesting. The only thing I might say is that a tad more DOF is needed?

6 is absolutely wonderfull. perfect atmosphere to it, and the way the cables lead the eye into the distance is spot on. Lovely stuff!

Glad you like the shots! #4 and 6 are my favorites too. Sorry I'm such a noob, but what is DOF? LOL!

DOF means Depth of Field. It is the distance before and after the spot on which you are focusing that is in focus also. so with your shot, increasing the Depth of field would have made the axel, bearing and the housing in focus, but not the far background, that would stay as it is. Best way I find to explore this is to focus on say the end of the axel in that shot of yours, and adjust the aperture between each shot, then compare them all later. You'll find that as the aperture gets smaller (F number increases), more and more of the scene will be in focus. hope that helps! :)

I only like the photoshop in the last picture... the rest are a little over done/poorly done IMO

In the spirit of helping people improve... do you have any constructive advice?

I like the last one a lot. It gives the feel of someone standing in a dark, unwelcome space and looking out into something more peaceful and light.

[Woodsy];1184926 said:
DOF means Depth of Field. It is the distance before and after the spot on which you are focusing that is in focus also. so with your shot, increasing the Depth of field would have made the axel, bearing and the housing in focus, but not the far background, that would stay as it is. Best way I find to explore this is to focus on say the end of the axel in that shot of yours, and adjust the aperture between each shot, then compare them all later. You'll find that as the aperture gets smaller (F number increases), more and more of the scene will be in focus. hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the great information! Hard being a noob sometimes!

I only like the photoshop in the last picture... the rest are a little over done/poorly done IMO

Sorry you feel that way. I'm still learning. Glad you like the last one.

Nice stuff. Where is this located?

It's an abandoned electrical generation plant in NW Iowa. Looks like it hasn't been used for many years, but makes a great target for nice pictures. I'll be visiting again once spring hits.

I like the last one a lot. It gives the feel of someone standing in a dark, unwelcome space and looking out into something more peaceful and light.

Thanks for the comment!

I really like that last two

Most reactions

Back