Abandoned Paper Mill

sleepingdragon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a picture of an abandoned paper mill up in New Hampshire, taken in late afternoon. Please comment.

Nikon210.jpg

under exposed much?

It is under exposed.. and the sky is blown out except for some clouds..

Not to be harsh.. but did you take it with a camera phone?

under exposed much?

It is under exposed.. and the sky is blown out except for some clouds..

Not to be harsh.. but did you take it with a camera phone?

No I didn't use a camera phone, I used my Nikon digital I'm still trying to figure out the settings. I didn't do any adjustments to the photo except to resize. Thanks for looking and your feedback I appreciate it.

It is easy to blow a shot like this, and well some people are snarky for karmic reasons best not analyzed.

A couple of approaches:

Expose for the darker area, lock exposure value and recompose the shot. Holding the shutter half way or using the * Exposure Lock depending on your camera and preference.

Utilize Exposure Compensation to stop down an exposure when you expect there is too much light in part of the frame.

Your EXIF shows f/3.7, so you could also stop down the aperture, but that is up to you depending on the type of effect you want, and you should be able to have some latitude under most conditions.

Another point to make is that the shadow detail can be recovered somewhat in post.

EDIT:I just tried it and the results are really nice! Noise can become a problem, but can also be reduced in post. Resist blowing the highlights that create halos - that is if you are the PP type.

-Shea

Thank you for your advice and time Ls3D. Its advice that I will gladly try next time. :D

I disagree with the above. I like the silhouette look. That was a hard sky to expose properly though, it looks much lighter at the bottom than at the top.

If you accidentally exposed the shot wrong, you now have learned how to avoid doing that in the future.

However, I could believe that you intentionally exposed the shot this way. I like it for the most part.

Most reactions

Back