Abandoned Places

Pugs: LOL, sorry man musta got you confused with someone else when I said that! OMG I'm getting old..:lmao::lol: I have DOH moments every now and then, so if I say something stupid, just know it came from me...LOL. I'm only 32, and I feel more like 62. I'm miss-placing stuff, calling neighbors by wrong names, forgeting what I'm doing at a store once I get there....ugh.

@Deadeye:
Get me a boat, dammit!!! Damn that's a sick lookin site! You know how you look at some old site and some you think, "eh..I'd hit it." Others, look like crap I usually think "Hmm..maybe if I was really bored." But this one you posted is a must. I'd kill to get in there..and the door is even open. Do you know anyone that did explore it?

Pugs: LOL, sorry man musta got you confused with someone else when I said that! OMG I'm getting old..:lmao::lol: I have DOH moments every now and then, so if I say something stupid, just know it came from me...LOL. I'm only 32, and I feel more like 62. I'm miss-placing stuff, calling neighbors by wrong names, forgeting what I'm doing at a store once I get there....ugh.

@Deadeye:
Get me a boat, dammit!!! Damn that's a sick lookin site! You know how you look at some old site and some you think, "eh..I'd hit it." Others, look like crap I usually think "Hmm..maybe if I was really bored." But this one you posted is a must. I'd kill to get in there..and the door is even open. Do you know anyone that did explore it?

Well I have past that place many a time for many a year now ,and never a sole on that island as everyone is skeered of unearthing a long dorment disease. I have seen the NYC police boat tie up to the poles there on late night shift , I presume to get a nap not to go ashore. If you do go there I suggest a Class A suite and bring nothing back but images. Typhoid ,Pox and God knows what could be there waiting for you to scratch yourself on a nail that someone caughed on many decades ago. Skeeeeeeeery stuff.

The final breath of Typhoid Mary was taken in this Quarantine hospital

Im to skeered to go there!!
That's North Brother Island, isn't it?

But this one you posted is a must. I'd kill to get in there..and the door is even open. Do you know anyone that did explore it?

Well I have past that place many a time for many a year now ,and never a sole on that island as everyone is skeered of unearthing a long dorment disease. I have seen the NYC police boat tie up to the poles there on late night shift , I presume to get a nap not to go ashore. If you do go there I suggest a Class A suite and bring nothing back but images. Typhoid ,Pox and God knows what could be there waiting for you to scratch yourself on a nail that someone caughed on many decades ago. Skeeeeeeeery stuff.

If that IS North Brother Island, there's reasons why nobody is ever seen there.

1. It's a former quarentine zone, bugs might still be lying dormant
  2. It's private city land (read as Public Not Welcome)
  3. It's less than 1/4 mile West of Riker's Island Correctional Facility, 1/2 mile from an active port, 1 mile from a power plant, 1.5 miles from a major airport. What does that mean? "National Security area"
  4. Harbor Patrol is frequently in the area because of the abovementioned locations.
  5. There's no place to moor a boat. That broken down dock was the only boat access onto the island.
  6. It's overgrown with plants and is hard to traverse.
Basically if you want to get to it by boat, you'd have to avoid Harbor Patrol, get close to it, hop overboard and swim to shore. Either that or have a small motorboat and zoom onto a sandy section then drag it into the treeline. Then there's a matter of getting off the island.

There's by my count, nine buildings on the island of varying levels of decay after it closed down in the 1960s. It's been sitting there with no care or maintenance for the last 50 years, approximately.

Deadeye, are you a local New Yorker?

If anyone has a boat, PM me. lol

Well, damn. That's a lot going on nearby. I suppose the government won't touch it due to dormant pathogens, and physical safety. It'll prob. sit there until it just collapses.

This would defiantly be a milestone in my UE career, to be able to say that I alluded the authorities and got photos of the hospital Mary Mallon died in! I almost guarantee that there is still beds and other furniture there, and tons of peeling paint as well as our great friend Asbestos. :confused: But to take photos of such a legendary site!! I'm still thinking of grabbing some protective gear, a good respirator and lens hood and head out. I'd go by boat and play off that I'm fishing or whatnot. And the damn door is wide open!

Despite the pathogens, that place and its' history are just WAY too tempting for me. Dead serious, if its' not too far, I'll hit it. I would love to see more. So, what's the hospital's name, anyways?

Yah, when I saw that, I really got a good feel for how the 'life' there was. Usually during an explore, you'll find the usual scattered records, photos, whatnot. Rarely do you find the feelings of a patient sketched on the wall like that. And to think that's going to rot and be forgotten like the hospital. Kinda sad.

hey easy target, it's not as bad as it seems
:mrgreen:
Is that an admission of guilt there, LostInPA? :lol:

There is one thing I didn't mention though. There's a very high likelihood of the presence of asbestos on site. The facility (Riverside Hospital) was built in the late 1900s. Asbestos was used for the purposes of fire retardants (and is still used today). The ban was in 1978 and only covered residential properties. The facility closed in the 60s, prior to the requirement of asbestos abatement of accessible facilities.

TL;DR: If they used asbestos in the construction of the building or was later added to the building, it's very likely still there.

2788521674_2592249b15.jpg

After seeing this thread, I wanted to join in :]

My favorite shot actually, I am new to slr though (Had for a weekish)

Some photoshop done, Nikon d40 stock lens used.

Wow....one of the best threads on TPF. Love all these buildings.

This shot....I love. :thumbup::thumbup: Maybe clean up the hot spots on the wall, and this would be a framer in my house.
IMG_5453.jpg

Damn, Chiller that's one sweeeettt shot! :hail: I agree, take out the hotspots and that would be nice on a wall. :thumbup:

2788521674_2592249b15.jpg

After seeing this thread, I wanted to join in :]

My favorite shot actually, I am new to slr though (Had for a weekish)

Some photoshop done, Nikon d40 stock lens used.

Wow! I really love the composition of this one. It just seems to be really heavily weighted on the dark end of spectrum.

I totally dig the subject and the composition, though!

Thanks, I didnt know how to do b/w pics on my d40 so I had to do that in photoshop, and after doing it it turned out nothing like what I wanted.

So I made it more dark.

I was trying to get a run down abandonded overgrown house that hasnt been touched in a long time.

the dead tree in the back was suppose to stand out more.

:[

Is that an admission of guilt there, LostInPA? :lol:

There is one thing I didn't mention though. There's a very high likelihood of the presence of asbestos on site. The facility (Riverside Hospital) was built in the late 1900s. Asbestos was used for the purposes of fire retardants (and is still used today). The ban was in 1978 and only covered residential properties. The facility closed in the 60s, prior to the requirement of asbestos abatement of accessible facilities.

TL;DR: If they used asbestos in the construction of the building or was later added to the building, it's very likely still there.

asbestos is something i deal with all the time.
It is very common in the places i photograph along many other life threatening substances and circumstances.

2275800785_a6264ccae7.jpg

always wear protection...

594461181_067b7e95c2.jpg

look out where you're going...
bring a ladder

594393699_2bbce619e3.jpg

Most reactions

Back