Abanoned Houses, Easdale

I really like this. Is it a bracketed exposure?

Really beautiful area. :)

Thanks mate! No it's just a single exposure but a 5 shot panorama. I did bring the highlights right down in lightroom to get the sky back and a wee bit of doging and burning in the foreground.

Nicely done; I'm guessing the quarry didn't shut down just last week.

Thanks! Yeah, the last commercial shipment of slate from Easdale was in 1911 but the had quarries operated for a long time. The first reference to Easdale slate was in a history of the area in 1554 though the first records of slate being taken commercially wasn't until the 17th Century. Apparently there are a few castles built in the 1600s which used Easdale slate in their production. Easdale slate is quite recognisable because of the square iron pyrite deposits in them which actually make them very pretty when polished up. Eventually Welsh slate took over as it was cheaper to produce and easier to work than Easdale slate.

Thanks! Yeah, the last commercial shipment of slate from Easdale was in 1911 but the had quarries operated for a long time. The first reference to Easdale slate was in a history of the area in 1554 though the first records of slate being taken commercially wasn't until the 17th Century. Apparently there are a few castles built in the 1600s which used Easdale slate in their production. Easdale slate is quite recognisable because of the square iron pyrite deposits in them which actually make them very pretty when polished up. Eventually Welsh slate took over as it was cheaper to produce and easier to work than Easdale slate.

Here's an example of the iron pyrite deposits in the slate. Some are tiny but others can be around 1/8" square.
Easdale Slate by wee_pete, on Flickr

That is beautiful slate! And what great history. :)

Most reactions

Back