Photos OK to edit
Platinum/Palladium 9" X 12" Drum Scanned at 1200dpi Printed on Arches Platine

$7639353830_4e0b70f335_b.jpg

Attachments

• $7639353830_8630ab12d1_h.jpg
    $7639353830_8630ab12d1_h.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Looks like you got a beautiful result! Your tonal values are spot on. Great work!

I don't understand. Did you make a platinum print, then scan that, and print the digital result?

I made the PL/PD print from a digital negative, did my coating, printed that on the Arches Platine, scanned the print image and you are seeing the results of that scan (scanning was done at Bostick & Sullivan). Though I really like PL/PD, my favorite medium is Ziatype and I'm pretty fond of Salt.

Ahh! I didn't know what Arches Platine was, and now I do, thanks.

This isn't the look I associate with platinum at all, it looks like a very nice silver print to me. It's silly to try to judge based on a digital scan, though.

The final images, sans the scan are much warmer in tone than shown here.

This is one of my favorites from the workshop I took in Santa Fe a couple of years ago with Christopher James. Later, I hooked up with Dana Sullivan at Bostick & Sullivan and really began a nice study in these processes.

Yeah, I associate platinum with warmer tones and far more midtones and a lot less blacks. Or, to be exact, the *feeling* of less black, I think the platinum Dmax is pretty dense in reality.

I'll shoot a pic of the original later today and post it as well as several done as Ziatypes. I got some interesting results in Santa Fe but was using Christopher James' chemistry formulas rather than B&S. Not sure it should make such a strong diference in warm to cool...quien sabe?

Ahh! I didn't know what Arches Platine was, and now I do, thanks.

This isn't the look I associate with platinum at all, it looks like a very nice silver print to me. It's silly to try to judge based on a digital scan, though.
Yes, that's an issue with some alt processes online, isn't it? :) Subtleties can be lost. P&P can be so delicate, too. I've seen some posted that look closer to sepia, and I know they aren't - perhaps the poster enhancing the saturation to make sure the warmth is seen. My own monitor is fairly crappy, too, so I give lots of latitude to posted alt work!

I'd love to see the original, as well.

... they have reflective drum scanners?

I just repeated what I was told by the folks doing the scanning though they did mention flatbed in the conversation. Truthfully, I don't know much about scanning nor is it something I am willing to learn at this stage of my life and probably me being more confused than knowlegeable. :lol: I just know the end result from printing via these scans is quite stupendous.

I need to clarify this last statement. The image posted is a scan of an image printed via PL/PD on Arches Platine. Originally, it was shot as a digital photograph from which a curved negative was generated to make the PL/PD print.

The 1200 dpi scans of the PL/PD prints are used to make copies and printed on either Jon Cone or Hahnemule 300gsm papers using the Cone 9-color (B&W) continuous tone inking system on an Epson 3000.

Last edited:
Wow - I'm even more impressed. That Epson 3000 sure is an improvement in B&W, though I've not heard of the Cone inks. When I bought my Epson 2400 many moons ago, the B&W was still limited and it showed - terrible B&W prints! I was trying to incorporate a mixed workflow at the time, just scan my negatives and print, but that effort fell flat. It was the push I needed to get an enlarger and set up a darkroom, though, so it turned out okay - and the 2400 is still fine for color printing - excellent, really. I just don't do a whole lot of it. :)

I just repeated what I was told by the folks doing the scanning though they did mention flatbed in the conversation. Truthfully, I don't know much about scanning nor is it something I am willing to learn at this stage of my life and probably me being more confused than knowlegeable. :lol: I just know the end result from printing via these scans is quite stupendous.

It is possible to have an reflective drum scanner, but the scan head would have to be entirely different. I suppose you could have a modular scan head. Typically though drum scans are transparency, and I've never heard of a reflective drum scanner.

My bet is that this is scanned using a very high end flatbed.

The scans are done in a very high end print shop. Your guess is as good as mine. They aren't cheap but they are damn sure good!

Most reactions

Back