Aboriginal genocide rally, June 24, 2010, 11:00 am

They're aboriginals, Rusty. They were protesting the genocide of 300 aboriginals or Indians in Nunavut and Yellowknife, Canada. I went there to take pictures. They marched on the way to G20 summit, three blocks away from Queen's Park where the Parliament resides. When the firetrucks started trickling in, I went to the nearest subway station, rode the train and went home. I don't know what happened. They were probably hosed with water or tear gassed. Obama was there too. Periodista/fotografo para granma.cu
I saw this protest as well, when it was proceeding along Queen and turning up Bay. It was very peaceful. The natives had their own security people as part of the march, and of course there was a large police presence keeping a watchful eye, as the City is chock full of police at the moment due to the upcoming G20 summit. There was no tear gassing or water hosing involved. And I don't believe Obama was in town yet. I think he only gets here today, after the G8 up in Huntsville.

The demonstrators in front are 'masters of violent or direct confrontation'. They know when to refrain from starting something. But if agent provocateurs are present in their midst, they blow their lids off by asking 'you out there, why are you here?'. If the cop-agent provocateur cannot give a satisfying answer, the demonstrators will beat him up. One reason why there were snipers yesterday. Yesterday there were lots of arrests. Well, why don't they refuse voting for the Conservative MPs. The electorate keeps on electing them Maybe Harper was right with hosting the summit. If he doesn't have the support of the electorate he should not have been elected. The problem is he remains elected...

That was funny, Bitter...Orly who? My name is Domingo R. Rodriguez. I am the designated officer in charge of Granma.cu here in Toronto. I translate all English newspapers in Spanish and transmit them to Granma, official newspaper of Cuba. ..Como esta, amigo? Jeweler? YOu should see the high tech gadgets given to me by Fidel Castro..Alienware computer, Lenovo computer, another Apple Mcintosh computer..One Hasselblad...One Shen Hao 4x5 and so many many more ..together with a designated driver-bodyguard..
Ew, you have connects with Fidel? You should be ashamed. I know what Granma is, you are a journalist, but not a photojournalist. Stop trying to act like you're hardcore because you work with Castro...cochinoooo! Oh wait? You don't use the equipment from him? Then why mention it?

You can have the best camera and the best equipment, but that doesn't mean your photos are going to be great. Stop defending yourself and take the advice being offered to you.

-Next time, give us a photo that you don't have to explain.

That was funny, Bitter...Orly who? My name is Domingo R. Rodriguez. I am the designated officer in charge of Granma.cu here in Toronto. I translate all English newspapers in Spanish and transmit them to Granma, official newspaper of Cuba. ..Como esta, amigo? Jeweler? YOu should see the high tech gadgets given to me by Fidel Castro..Alienware computer, Lenovo computer, another Apple Mcintosh computer..One Hasselblad...One Shen Hao 4x5 and so many many more ..together with a designated driver-bodyguard..
Ew, you have connects with Fidel? You should be ashamed. I know what Granma is, you are a journalist, but not a photojournalist. Stop trying to act like you're hardcore because you work with Castro...cochinoooo!

You can have the best camera and the best equipment, but that doesn't mean your photos are going to be great. Stop defending yourself and take the advice being offered to you.

Castro is a good man, sbuxo. He cared for the elderly and the exploited. He cared for me. Do you know how many times had I've been fired? 33 times! Until he handed this job to me..Fotografoperiodista (photojournalists)..

Jajajajaja no me hagas reir asiiiii socio, please. Fidel, good man? Please, don't try and convince me. I was born in Cuba and was raised there, probably you too? Who knows. He did a good job of brainwashing you! He only cares for his kind, and I'm not talking about Cubans!

Buuueeeno, en Cuba casi no hay nada del bueno culpa de ese hijo de la gran puta..si eres fotografo periodista...mejor no decirlo..:er:

He cares for anyone he can brainwash, honey. Don't be fooled, lol jk, too late. Anyone that he can't, off to jail or better yet kill them. Asi mismo..

Well, anyways. That's besides the point. This is not an Off-Topic discussion, or a history/politic debate. It's about your photo.

Jajajajaja no me hagas reir asiiiii socio, please. Fidel, good man? Please, don't try and convince me. I was born in Cuba and was raised there, probably you too? Who knows. He did a good job of brainwashing you! He only cares for his kind, and I'm not talking about Cubans!

Buuueeeno, en Cuba casi no hay nada del bueno culpa de ese hijo de la gran puta..

He cares for anyone he can brainwash, honey. Don't be fooled, lol jk, too late.

Well, anyways. That's besides the point. This is not an Off-Topic discussion, or a history/politic debate. It's about your photo.

I was just testing your ideological purity. Had you sometime in the past ever sent your application in the CIA? If you did, your posts are living proofs of ideological purity. I would hire you if I were them. Maybe they can even see your facial expression upon reading my 'pro-Fidel' posts..

Last edited:
Is that why you came to this site? To test people?

Why don't you test your photography taking skills, better.

Is that why you came to this site? To test people?

Why don't you test your photography taking skills, better.

NO. Remember that all postings done in here are extemporaneous and spontaneous. NObody planned what each shall say or had said...

I've no idea where this thread is going with cuba and stuff but its got nothing to do with the photos and much of what needs tobe said has been said in this and the other threads.
I will however pluck out this

-Next time, give us a photo that you don't have to explain.

You might find it interesting to read Clouds reply in another of these threads:
The reply: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-rally-june-24-2010-11-00-am.html#post1943251

And the thread for context:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...nal-genocide-rally-june-24-2010-11-00-am.html

Not all photos have to stand on their own - they might paint 1000 words but a book is more than one chapter. A photo might tell one chapter, two photos might tell more - a title of the photo might give leading line directions whilst an accompanying article can greatly expand and help to show what the photographer wants the viewer to see and read in their photos.

That is not to say that bad photography can be defended (as art) by long descriptions, but more that one can use writing to support ones photography.

Buuueeeno, en Cuba casi no hay nada del bueno culpa de ese hijo de la gran puta..

He cares for anyone he can brainwash, honey. Don't be fooled, lol jk, too late.

I was just testing your ideological purity. Had you sometime in the past ever sent your application in the CIA? If you did, your posts are living proofs of ideological purity. I would hire you if I were them. Maybe they can even see your facial expression upon reading my 'pro-Fidel' posts..

wtf. it seems like you either do some crazy drugs or have no common sense. and i also don't believe you work for a newspaper as a photographer because, well, all the pictures you posted from this rally just aren't good.

Apparently Overread did read all of the posts he is citing.

None of these photos give any real indication of context. They are sooo vague they could be used as stock photos for an article about a Jazz Festival, Gay Pride Parade, or a Westboro Baptist church protest.

They fail at being photojournalism.

The photo's okay but like others have said, it's too bad you have to explain it for anyone to get it. I'm hoping to get downtown tomorrow to snap some shots of all the know-nuthin' a-hole G20 protesters who think the world's problems can be solved simply by throwing rocks through shop windows. Sort of like, I got no real point but I do have this lovely big rock to throw. So far they've trashed the downtown core and burned at least two cop cars. I'm heading down really early tomorrow morning to get some photos of the damage these losers have caused, and of the cops tasked with keeping order. Should be fun.

Most reactions

Back