? about outdoor ceremony

That is my main objective is to only use the flash as fill because I'm afraid of the shadows. I hope I can figure out this FEC!

I dont know exactly where it is on the Rebel XT, but on a 30D, the flash exposure compensation is the third little black button on the top next to the DRIVE-ISO button. When you press that, you are able to stop down the exposure in 1/3 stop increments. As Jim recommended, you should set it to -1 or -2 for outside, but for inside, not too sure, I am guessing set it to -1. This setting is saved even though you turn off the camera. For the Rebel, I would check your manual to see where this control can be set. This can be a bit tricky if you are using a bounce card or a diffuser though. I set mine to -1 with the bounce card I was using, and I think it did a pretty decent job eliminating or at least softening the shadows. But I still did a fair amount of editing afterward as well to adjust the exposure and white balance (still learning!).

Also, I am with Mike, definitely shoot RAW and practice editing in RAW.

As mentioned, getting flash right can take years of practice and experience...and you are cutting it pretty close :lol:[/quote]

You are right!! Umm, three days close!! :er: I'll try my best! ;)

NJMAN I have the Canon Rebel field guide and with that I am trying to figure out the FEC so I will study up on that today... thank you!

If memory serves me right you hold down the flash button on the back of the body and at the same time rotate the dial on top of the camera. (although that's the XT not the rebel..... Hopefully the camera has this function? If not get a 580EX as you can set the FEC on the flash too.

Regards shooting indoors, -1 may not provide enough power depending on the light available. If using a diffuser and bouncing, mine is set somewhere between +1 and +2 usually - but this is in a dark hall with low lights.

Check your histogram regularly when shooting (I do...... a lot!)

Oh boy. Okay... I didn't find a flash today. So with little time to even try and figure ot what the heck to do with a brand new one do you think I should scarily attempt to do this without one? And then instead focus on the things I can and do know about that might get me through this without crying at the end?
I dont want to turn away the opportunity. After all - they really will only have some drunk p&s pics wiithout something I may be able to do, and even if I can't do what an established wedding photographer does I can still get the feel of the work that goes into it and how the day runs???

So should I nix the idea of trying to 'master' (or even figure out) an external flash two days before the event? What are your thoughts?

You won't really have time to figure everything out with flash photography...but I'd still suggest you get one...even if you have to rent it (or beg, borrow, steal).

Are you using the original digital Rebel? I believe that model doesn't have FEC on the body...although, I think that you can get it by installing the hacked firmware that was avaliable. Your other option would be to get a flash that had FEC on the flash unit (430EX or 580EX).

Well, actually...you could get an auto flash (something like a Sunpak 383 Super Auto). It would be much cheaper than one of the Canon models above, but it's a different kind of flash...that would require a few more adjustments by you.

I used an auto flash like that for years before getting my 430EX. Once you know how to use it, it's great. I still recommend getting a Canon model but an auto flash is an option.

Thanks Mike.. I was lookig at a Sunpak yesterday for a hundred bucks and thought it might be a good one to start out with. I will have ttwo RebelXT's with me. Might have been better to have two different cameras but that's what my mom has too and she's letting me borrow it for a backup. SO that's cool.
I think now I'm a little nervous about this whole flash business so I'll get one this afternoon and play around with it. II really have no choice but to start out with an inexpensive one but I think it can at least help me on the road to learning.
I dont think there is a setting on the back of the camera but there are in the menu I just haven't figured it out quite right.
I really sont want to screw this up for this couple but it makes me feel better knowing that I ghave your guys advice and help and that they woudl have nothing otherwise.
Thanks for all the help!

I think the XT does have FEC...so that's good. But that won't do anything if you are using an auto flash like the Sunpak.

Here's how it works, in a nutshell. You should be able to set the ISO and F number on the flash unit. Then you match those settings on the camera...and keep the shutter speed under the max sync (I think it's 1/200 on your camera). This will give you average or 'proper' flash exposure...as long as you are within the working distance (at that aperture).

In a dark room, for example, you would need to put the camera into manual mode and set the aperture on the camera to match the setting on the flash (or visa versa). The shutter speed can be anything (1/200 or slower). The longer the shutter speed, the more ambient light (background) you can get...so it's nice to use a slower shutter like 1/15 to 1/60...but be careful that you don't get any ghosting from the ambient light. To adjust the amount of exposure from the flash...you can change any of the variables....aperture on the camera, ISO on the camera...F number setting on the flash or ISO on the flash.

When outside...you only want the flash for fill. I would put the camera into Av or Manual (maybe Tv) and see what settings you are getting when activating the meter (half press the shutter). Adjust the camera so that your shutter speed is 1/200 or slower...and see what aperture you have. If you can, set your flash to that and away you go. The flash may have a distance scale on it as well...so look at the distance that corresponds to your F number and that is your max working distance for the flash. In really bright light (small aperture)...it won't be very much.

Again, you can adjust the flash exposure by change one of the variables from being matched up.

You may even want to put the camera into manual and under expose the shot by a stop, and let the flash light up the subjects, to give them some 'pop'...but don't worry about that until you have a good handle on what's going on.

The good news is that you are working with digital and you can check what's being recorded. Although it may be hard to see in the bright light.

Thank you yet again... I have been reading all morning about this and I think I'm starting to understand. The way you just put it makes the most sense to me. I'll now stop pestering about this. LOL :)

But if anyone can tell me what to wear that would be great. haha I'm only kidding ;)

Great info Mike, you really are a big help around here!

Just wanted to say thanks cause I never really come up with questions, but when other people post and you all answer, I find I have learned so much in the last couple months!

Good luck JimmyJaceyMom

Great info Mike, you really are a big help around here!

Just wanted to say thanks cause I never really come up with questions, but when other people post and you all answer, I find I have learned so much in the last couple months!

Good luck JimmyJaceyMom

thanks - yes pay attention to all of the posts, thats what I have been doing lately. And its awesome I have learned more reasing other people's questions on here and the answers then I have found in several books that claim to cover everything!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back